I must be doing something wrong.

Options
I've been going to the gym regularly and for the most part eating healthy...yet I've GAINED weight since I joined the site. I don't really know what else I can change. It's really discouraging to get on the scale after a good workout and see that all your hard work isn't paying off.

Replies

• iTemperence
    Options
    What does "for the most part" mean?

You might want to study your diet more closely - I found that a lot of the times I was actually sabotaging myself by fudging facts and using terms like "for the most part" when it really meant that I thought that eating some veggies gave me a free pass on other not so healthy foods.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    If you just started working out, then you are probably gaining muscle. That's why I always tell people to take their measurements too.
  • mnromero
    Options
    I know what you mean...but don't worry, its muscle that your gaining along with losing the fat. Remember that muscles weigh more than fat so just keep going...good luck
  • renaconnor
    renaconnor Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you feel comfortable, post your diary and let us have a look!
  • dragonxbaby
    dragonxbaby Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've found that I actually need to work out for an hour a day. I saw earlier that you worked out for 30 minutes. Try 30 more, it may help. Working out twice during the day also helps. When I was in high school I used to work out for only 30 and the weight would come off so fast, but I think that was because I was walking from class to class all day and that was my secondary exercise. Now that I don't have that, I need to work out more to lose weight. So try that maybe? :)
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    Id say you are gaining muscle weight.

That is why the measurements come in to play in progress. I haven't done mine since I joined the site and egret it. My weight fluctuates but I am losing & gaining inches in a positive way.

Watch your sodium and be sure to get the water you need and take your measurements often (wkly or bi-weekly)

Be patient and hagn in there.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    First, never never never weigh right after a workout. I always weigh more after a workout. If you have to weigh every day, only do it in the morning, after you've gone to the bathroom. That's when you're the lightest, and you can gain as much as 7 or 8 pounds a day, just in food, water, etc. being in your stomach.

Also, is your TOM coming up? I always gain a few pounds around TOM because of bloating, and once I'm done with it, I lose it and usually an extra lb or so.

You also might want to start tracking your sodium intake. Lots of sodium can make your body hold on to water, which makes the scale go up.

Keep doing what you're doing, and it will come off! :flowerforyou:
  • ellliemaeee
    ellliemaeee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    wellll thanks everyone! :)
    When I say "for the most part" - I mean that sometimes I have to rely on convenience food from the cafeteria to fit in to my busy schedule. Unfortunately (especially since I have to pay for a meal plan living on campus), I don't really have a choice but to eat crap sometimes.
    I've never taken measurements, so I suppose I should try doing that.
    And if TOM is part of it, then yeah, that's right now :P

thanks for all the opinions!
  • cats01
    cats01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Don't feel disheartened, I know exactly what it's like, I joined in September and was doing everything right, working out 4/5 times a week, eating properly and within my calories, nothing moved on the scales for the first 3 months, I knew though I couldn't give up... Then suddenly I started losing, a pound a week steadily... keep it up and it will kick in, some bodies just take longer...
    I know it can be hard, but there are so many people on here to support you...
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    I could be muscle you are gaining at the gym. But, I have found that even a small slip up has bad consequences. I had 2.5 peices of pizza a couple of weekends ago and gained almost a pound! So, needless to say I have not had any pizza since then! Try to stick to foods that are not frozen and high in carbs too.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree with watching what you eat more closely. I doubt you've gained enough muscle to make yourself gain every week. It really is about what you put in your mouth. You'll notice a change if you keep your diary right, I promise.