walk or jog?

MeekMeals
MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi pals!

Which do you think is more effective in fat burning? Walking at a good pace on a high incline (example 4.5-5.0 speed at 8.0 incline) for 60 minutes. Or jogging at 5.0 no incline for 20-30 minutes?

Thanks,
Tameka

Replies

• SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Since you said "fat-burning" it's the high-incline walk or whatever keeps your HR in a mid-low range. Jogging/running may burn more calories (if you cover more distance) but if your HR is high, you'll be in a "cardio" range and not burn as much fat.
  • That is a good question.... I would also like to know which is best!!!!

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    I'd go with the one that burns more calories for you, and of course, the one that you like well enough to keep doing over and over. I started running about 8 months ago, and now a walk just doesn't feel challenging enough. I will walk some days, especially if I feel I need a "rest" day, but most of the time I'd rather run. More calories burned in less time, plus more fun!
  • I am not sure about the fat burning part, but I know for calories it is not the time it is the distance. So if you walk one mile or run one mile you will burn the same amount of calories. Walking will just take longer :smile:
  • SheehyCFC
    PS: you can find your HR ranges (for fat-burning vs. cardio) through a google search. Make sure to check 2-3 sites to get a good idea (not all sites are legit)
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    My advice would be to switch it up - your body gets used to doing the same thing over and over. So if you walk one day and jog the next, you'll keep it guessing and get the benefits of both!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    According to what I read recently, this is a myth: Since you said "fat-burning" it's the high-incline walk or whatever keeps your HR in a mid-low range. Jogging/running may burn more calories (if you cover more distance) but if your HR is high, you'll be in a "cardio" range and not burn as much fat. (from an earlier post).

I recently researced this, and here is what the statistics actually says about fat burning and heart rate (paraphrased): Yes, keeping your heart rate in a moderate zone will burn a larger PERCENTAGE of fat, but a higher heart rate will burn more total calories, thus you are still burning more TOTAL FAT at the higher rate.
  • I always thought that it doesn't matter what speed you do it but roughly 1 mile = 100 calories.
    So with limited time, jogging burns more calories.
    Inclines burn more but you have to work to keep up the intensity... so if you end up stopping earlier, it kind of defeats
    the purpose...
    I agree with elaine, though, switching it up is good - hills/flat run/walk - all good!
  • SheehyCFC
    I recently researced this, and here is what the statistics actually says about fat burning and heart rate (paraphrased): Yes, keeping your heart rate in a moderate zone will burn a larger PERCENTAGE of fat, but a higher heart rate will burn more total calories, thus you are still burning more TOTAL FAT at the higher rate.

I believe you, and apologize if I gave wrong information - its what I've always been told (from trainers, etc.). But possible you could provide a link? I'd love to read more about it.
  • MeekMeals
    MeekMeals Posts: 517 Member
    so far i have been doing 50 minutes of cardio: 20 minutes stationary bike, 10 minutes stair machine, 20 minutes jog (which I sometimes alternate and do HIIT for the 20-walk/sprint for the 20 minutes)
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    HIIT is the best type of cardio overall because you burn extra calories for upto 48 hrs after the workout.

Now walking vs joggin, Walking at a brisk pace put most of us in zone 2 which is the fat burning zone and it's better on your joints.
    but does nothing for cario or endurance.
    So, it depends what your goal is.
This discussion has been closed.