low cal recipes for a college student!

Options
critter347
critter347 Posts: 58 Member
Hey there, looking for low cal meals I could make, I'm getting a bit tired of the same meals and would be interested in something I actually make, not just buying a lean cuisine, or something.
I mention that I'm a college student so keep in mind all I have is a steamer, a microwave, and a Foreman Grill. Don't have pots, skillets, pan's or an oven, etc so I know that really limits what I can make, so that's why I thought I'd make a thread and atleast ask.

So any suggestions, whatsoever, will be appreciated!
thanks!

Replies

• MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I would use the steamer for rice and veggies. I like to make up combos of brown rice, chopped veg, healthy broth and a little of your favorite seasonings ...

You can use the foreman for grilling thin sliced veggies and using them in salads and wraps, and I LOVE to make grilled sammies. Grilled cheese with fat free cream cheese, a sprinkle of shredded low fat cheddar and a couple slices of ham is one of my faves. Instead of butter on the bread, just spray with a little cooking spray.

You could also get a mini crockpot (Mine cost $10) and make things like chili or soups and save the leftovers.
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I really love to grill a piece of chicken made with whatever spices I want that day, then I slice it, stick it in a low carb whole wheat tortilla, spread the tortilla with a wedge of Laughing Cow garlic and herb, put a tomato slice, fresh spinach, alfalfa sprouts, cucumber and a touch of fat free Italian dressing. Then I will wrap that all up and stick it back on the foreman to press it like a pannini press. So good. Love it!
  • strivingfor130
    strivingfor130 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    What about tacos (minus the meat)? Just heat up some canned black beans and corn, chopped tomatoes, sprinkle of cheese and mix it all with salsa and stuff it into a tortilla shell...you could also make tuna salad or chicken salad to eat with crackers or in a wrap/sandwich...you can always grill a lot of fresh vegetables for a meal.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I have so many ideas!~!... where should I start? Anything is awesome on the Forman Grill!~! Sometimes me and my husband throw some steak spices on a center cut pork chop and eat it with A1 sauce, sounds weird but its a great mix up if you get sick of steak.

Do you like brucceta? I invented a burger with all the greatness of brucette (not sure if i am spelling this right) What I do is get some ground turkey, a tablespoon of balsmic vinegar, garlic(to taste) and a few chopped leaves of basil. Make a patty and throw on some evoo and smack it on the grill.. Then top if off with some mozz cheese. THEN....dice up some tomatoes, mix with some more basil leaves and some balsamic vinegar... when the burger is done, instead of ketch up or mayo throw on some of the tomato mixture.... ITS SOO GOOD. It makes it even better if you grill the bun also. Sometimes if I have a heavy carb day I dont even use a bun, I just let it cool slightly and put it in a bed of lettuce and leave the tomatoes large slices and eat it like that! Send me a messege if you want any more ideas, I love creating new things!~!
  • kymyas
    kymyas Posts: 10
    Options
    Get yourself some of that grocery store made rotisserie chicken and make chicken tacos/quesadillas: yellow corn Mission torillas (2 torillas = 80cal), low fat mozzarella (85 cal/oz) shred that rotisserie breast meat put some tabasco or valentino hot sauce and that is yummers! Nuke the tortilla a little bit before adding the stuff that way the toritlla folds nicely, then put in all the ingredients & nuke it till the cheese is melted. I like to cook mine in a pan 'cos it gives the tortilla a little crunchy roasted kind of taste but when I'm in a hurry I nuke it. I use about 2 oz of shredded mozzarella and make 4 taco/quesadillas under 500 calories. Believe me you will be full with just 4 tacos. If I have left over chicken I make more tacos or salad the next day.
  • KanCrav
    Options
    you should also try to youtube "cooking in the barracks" my husband is in the army and we are stationed in germany so the only TV we get is the Armed Forced Network and its a show. They teach single soldiers how to make healthy meals in their barracks, and they have just as much, if not less cookware than you have. Its kinda weird, but their ideas are always interesting.
  • KanCrav
    Options
    What about tacos (minus the meat)? Just heat up some canned black beans and corn, chopped tomatoes, sprinkle of cheese and mix it all with salsa and stuff it into a tortilla shell...you could also make tuna salad or chicken salad to eat with crackers or in a wrap/sandwich...you can always grill a lot of fresh vegetables for a meal.

You can try tuna from a can as a meat substitute or you can grill up a steak and slice it thin and use her same recipe!~!
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options

I made taco's the other night and used ground chicken instead of red mean. Tasted really good and wasn't nearly as bad for you.
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options

I made taco's the other night and used ground chicken instead of red mean. Tasted really good and wasn't nearly as bad for you.
    Browning ground beef or any other ground meat will be tough for anyone without pots/pans/stovetop. However, some Morningstar veggie crumbles would work great as a source of protein/meat replacement.
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    these ideas sound great guys, much appreciated, keep em coming. I'm gonna have to print this out, and pick some stuff up from the grocery tomorrow and try some stuff out.

thanks!
  • Mozzafiata731
    Options
    Chutney turkey burgers_ Go to the indian/international aisle and pick out your favorite kind of chutney- Mango and papaya are my two favorite- Spice factor doesn't matter as far as the recipe..... Get some ground turkey_a red onion_wheat bread_romaine lettuce
    Cook the ground turkey in the form of a burger- spread some chutney on the wheat bread (I use wheat bread from the bakery like french bread etc...) add sliced onions and lettuce to taste- its amazing! :)