importance of potassium

Options
jb_2011
jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
The info below is from http://www.krispin.com/potassm.html

If you look at the site, there's a really good potassium chart, too. I've added a potassium column in my food diary. I've been feeling really good since paying attention to eating potassium-rich foods.

"Eating foods high in potassium will change your physical and mental energy in just hours. Low potassium leads to general weakness and malaise. Eat high potassium foods, every day. Research repeatedly confirms daily intake of foods containing potassium that provide a total daily intake of 4,000 mg or more protect from hypertension, heart disease, kidney disease, metabolic syndrome, and stroke. Potassium counts. Count your potassium. Potassium supplements are not advised.

Potassium is one of the most important elements in our diets. The primitive, or "natural", diet contains 2+ mg. of potassium for each calorie consumed. The modern food consumer is lucky to get 0 .5 mg. of potassium for each calorie consumed. Persons who consume 4,000 mg. of potassium or more per day have a much lower incidence of all degenerative diseases including insulin resistance syndrome, hypertension, stroke, obesity and adult onset diabetes.

All of the healthy dietary programs that lower cholesterol, normalize weight or improve blood pressure contain high amounts of potassium containing foods, fruits and vegetables. Without potassium we suffer from fatigue and poor muscle response. Potassium keeps us energized and relaxed at the same time."

Replies

• cassidystreasures
    Options
  • ymachick
    ymachick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Great information and website. Thanks for posting. I've always had very bad leg and foot cramps and my nutritionist recommended increasing potassium intake. So, I've been a big fan of potassium for a while for that reason, but thanks for reminding us of all the other wonderful benefits of it as well.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It bothers me that it isn't required for the nutrition panel to list potassium amounts.
  • jb_2011
    Options
    I just want to feel better, period. I think we all do. And when I keep my potassium levels up, I'm happier, more alert, have more energy and a more positive outlook. It's not good to wake up and dread another day of dieting. Potassium rich foods fill us better and give our bodies and minds a better chance at success. Dat's why we need to do the good foods!

Anyway, print out a copy of the potassium chart on the site http://www.krispin.com/potassm.html and keep it close by. Look at it often and choose lots of foods from it. We'll all be happier people if we do, and we all know how important that is. Feeling miserable and cheated and sorry for ourselves that we have to diet won't do the trick. Let me tell ya, I've been there many, many times.

I don't wanna feel that way no mo. :noway:
  • jb_2011
    Options
    I agree. By the way, your photo is adorable, you're so cute and so is your little doggie! Dog fanatic here, too. :)
  • LoserCruiser
    Options
    Thanks for this info. I am always low on potassium and for awhile was taking supplements for it!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Hehe, thanks. Dogs are one of the best parts about life, period.
  • seventieslord
    seventieslord Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yep, potassium is very important. I have been adding it in the database to everything that I eat on a regular basis. Luckily it is already listed in most "basic" foods like fruits and veggies and grains and legumes. I don't eat meat but I see they have it listed for most meats and cheeses too.

Potassium listing isn't a requirement on labels, but it should be. For example, a campaign to always eat more potassium than sodium would be a good starting point for people semi-interested in reading labels but not knowing what to do with the info.

it seems that most vegetarian and health foods make a point of including it, much more so than other products. It's always listed on soy milk and Yves' meatless products list it about 95% of the time.

Based on the ingredients, I always add a realistic potassium count so that I get a good idea of what I'm really having. I was sick of seeing 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 down the list when reviewing my day.

Fruits and veggies are the key though! They easily have the most potassium. One two-cup serving of this soup I made lately has 1200 mg.