Calorie Help

Options
I've been reading that you need to eat back the calories that you work off, that your body can go into starvation mode. Yesterday, after working out, and finishing my diary, I had 990 calories left. But, I was full!
Is having this many calories left going to slow my weight loss(

Replies

• sexylonglegs
    Options
    *bangs head on desk*

)))starvation mode(((
  • cclala
    cclala Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I've been reading that you need to eat back the calories that you work off, that your body can go into starvation mode. Yesterday, after working out, and finishing my diary, I had 990 calories left. But, I was full!
    Is having this many calories left going to slow my weight loss(

Yes, there's lots of info on this site about exercise calories, run a search and see what you can dig up, it helps it to make a bit more sense.

I can't see your diary but if you'd like me to take a glance I can give you some thoughts? If not, then I'd say just make sure you're eating a big enough breakfast, and not skimping on the fruits and veggies and whole grains. Sometimes processed food gives us a temporary feeling of fullness that can confuse our bodies, but it's not the real deal in terms of calorie fulfillment and nutrition.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    This is a really common question, here is a recent blog post that addresses it in a really straightforward way:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/aeryn69/view/the-great-calorie-misconception-64913
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad, I had 773 calories left when I went to bed last night at midnight! I just wasn't in the mood for a 7 course meal at midnite...u know?? LOL
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    You would really have to drop your caloric intake in order for your body to go into starvation mode. I read somewhere that iw ould anywhere from 40-50% of BMR - So if your BMR is 1000 and your only eating 500 calories then yes your body is going to go into starvation mode. In order for your body to function on a normal basis you would need to eat at the minimum those 1000 calories.

so with that said, if you are eating only say 1/2 ur exercise calories your body is NOT going to go into starvation mode.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt you to do it once in a while, but if you are consistently too low on calories your body will have a negative reaction.

Basics: on your homepage tab, there is that Daily Summary Box with CALORIES REMAINING in giant green (or occaisionally angry red) numbers. over to the right of that box, the number listed as NET calories should read 1200 or more at the end of your day.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    One day wont hurt you but don't let it become a habit as overtime your metabolism will slow down and you will store fat and burn muscle.

If you consistently don't eat enough, change what you are eating. You don't have to eat more food just eat calorie dense food. for example switch from 1% milk to 2%, no more food but more calories. As a snack have nuts, seeds, or dehydrated fruit. add olive oil to soups sauces, and on salads, add avocado to salads and sandwiches, make friends with nut butters such as peanut or almond butter. Eat full fat yogurt, cottage cheese, cheese etc.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    No, it shouldn't slow your weight loss. In all honesty, I don't eat all of my exercise calories back either. Not because I choose not to, but like you, I just can't. I work out at night, so I don't think I could possibly eat back 2000 calories in the 2 hours before I go to bed. It hasn't slowed down my weight loss at all. It actually, sped it up, but that's pretty much based off of the math logic that my net calorie intake was low.

Just know that if you consistently do that, those days you do happen to eat back any exercise calories, your body weight will fluctuate back up to compensate and readjust. You should still be seeing a steady decline in weight though, overall.
  • cclala
    Options
    No, it shouldn't slow your weight loss. In all honesty, I don't eat all of my exercise calories back either. Not because I choose not to, but like you, I just can't. I work out at night, so I don't think I could possibly eat back 2000 calories in the 2 hours before I go to bed. It hasn't slowed down my weight loss at all. It actually, sped it up, but that's pretty much based off of the math logic that my net calorie intake was low.

Just know that if you consistently do that, those days you do happen to eat back any exercise calories, your body weight will fluctuate back up to compensate and readjust. You should still be seeing a steady decline in weight though, overall.

This isn't bad advice, generally, but it doesn't apply to the OP. I took a peek at her diary and just want to put this here so that she isn't confused by the advice on this thread, and so that people understand the question--and her situation-- a bit better.

We should all aim for 1200 calories at the very very minimum every day. The deficit after working out should never dip below 1000.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

You don't have to eat the calories after you workout. If you plan on working out you should have an idea of how many calories you will be burning and eat most of them spread out over the full day, not 2 hours.
  • cclala
    Options

You don't have to eat the calories after you workout. If you plan on working out you should have an idea of how many calories you will be burning and eat most of them spread out over the full day, not 2 hours.

Yep! I log my exercise and food before I actually eat/do it so I can plan.