Wow! How do you do it?

Options
I browsed through a few of the open diaries and have a questions - What type of exercise are you doing? I work out for 30 minutes daily and only burn about 200-300 calories. I notice that many people burn between 400-900 calories in a day!

What are you doing to burn that many calories?

Thanks for the help!

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I wonder the same exact thing.
  • designer72
    Options
    I am walking on a 10% incline and doing an interval traning, ranges between 3 - 3.7, that is on my machine. Takes roughly 30 mins. to burn 450 cals. I can raise the machine to 20% and do crazy cals in shorter time also.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i generally burn between 400 to 550 calories with my classes at the gym (about 55 minutes). the same for my c25k training (about 40 minutes). i think for me, being in a room full of people motivates me to keep going and push harder - i don't think i would burn as much doing my videos at home. if i have a double dose, which is c25k plus pilates right now (about 95 minutes) i burn around 700 calories. and, this is all based on my heart rate monitor, which has generally (but not always) been higher than mfp's estimates.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories a body burns depends on several factors. Age, weight and gender have a lot to do with it. Two people could be doing the same exercise for the same length of time and burn different amounts. Also, if you have a higher intensity, you're going to burn more cals.

Best option, get a heart rate monitor (HRM) to find out how much you're really burning.

^ this. I run for an hour most days. It's exhausting, lol. ...but I love it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP you don't seem to have much to lose, and the less you weigh the less you burn doing the same activities as heavier people. Burning 7-10 cals/minute is a respectable burn. If you did want to burn more you just have to increase the speed and/or intensity on what you are doing.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    I agree with this responce but If you wanna know Im doing zumba
    The amount of calories a body burns depends on several factors. Age, weight and gender have a lot to do with it. Two people could be doing the same exercise for the same length of time and burn different amounts. Also, if you have a higher intensity, you're going to burn more cals.

Best option, get a heart rate monitor (HRM) to find out how much you're really burning.
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Exactly what I was going to say. A Heart Rate monitor is your best bet. That way you know exactly what you're burning.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Its about how hard you are working.....keeping your heart rate up....I sometimes burn as much 1100 ca in 50-60 minutes....It just depends on the video I am doing.
  • togden
    togden Posts: 324 Member
    Options

EXACTLY .... My sister and I do a 15 minute power walk together sometimes and although I burn over 200 calories in that 15 minutes she barely gets to 100 however Im 400 pounds and she is about 223 .....
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I work out for an hour on the elliptical or a few other machines at the gym and I can burn about 500-650 calories doing that. If you double your work out time, you'll double your calorie burn too!
  • nejohn
    nejohn Posts: 62
    Options
    I do a kick boxing class on Monday nights and Zumba classes on Tuesday's & Thursday's. Monday night I burned 477 at KB class and Tuesday night I burned 692 doing Zumba. Like someone said earlier... it all depends on weight, age and gender. I purchased a HRM last week so I would know for sure. I had the exact same question you do.... :o)
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym daily - do 30 minutes of High intensity intervals on the AMT machine (http://www.sensational.com/diet/OmniPrecorAMT100i.html) which consists of 5 minute warm up (V02max @ 9), 6 minutes of interval squats (10 sec on / 20 sec rest), then 2 minutes rest @ low V02 approx 6/7) then 5 intervals of 2 minutes V02max 10-12) with 1 minute rest in between. That burns approx 400 calories.

Then, I do a 45 minute weight training circuit - this counts as very low calorie burn, since weight training is a slow, continuous burn, not the same as cardio

Then I finish with a 30 minute continuous cardio with a low V02max between 7 and 9.... that burns about 340 calories.

Plus my 30 minute walk to and from the gym (15 mins each way) on snowy sidewalks - I add that as moderate pace walking - for a daily total of anywhere between 700 - 900 calories per workout.

Otherwise, I do not log non formal exercise (I only calculate the gym or very long walks that are meant to replace the gym).

I double checked the numbers from the machines to a HRM I use at the gym from time to time to make sure the numbers are not out of whack (and I have a personal trainer 1x a week to keep me on track)
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with your weight, height and what type of excersize you are doing. I burn about 900 calories in an hour doing Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing) and I am 171 lbs. and 5'8. Hope that helps =]
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I do P90X in the morning and run 4 miles on the tread or 45 minutes on the elliptical in the afternoon. I burn about 700 calories a day.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    I am walking on a 10% incline and doing an interval traning, ranges between 3 - 3.7, that is on my machine. Takes roughly 30 mins. to burn 450 cals. I can raise the machine to 20% and do crazy cals in shorter time also.

Same here; I do a "pyramid" on treadmill - step up 3% every two minutes (from 3 to 15%) then do 10 minutes at 15%, then step it back down.

Also keep in mind, a person who weighs 200 lbs will burn more calories doing the exact same activity as someone who weighs 120 lbs.
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    A lot of it has to do with your weight, height and what type of excersize you are doing. I burn about 900 calories in an hour doing Muay Thai (Thai kickboxing) and I am 171 lbs. and 5'8. Hope that helps =]

I just have to say I think it's awesome that you're DOING Muay Thai. I'd love to try that!
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    In order for my very small frame to lose weight I absolutely have to have at least a 500 cal burn most days. I bought a heart rate monitor last year to get a better idea/more accurate gauge of how much I was burning and while its not exact (so I dont count the whole number my hrm gives me) because I couldn't afford the real fancy ones its pretty darn close. I love a really good cal burn so I picked up on running and THAT'S a good way to get a good burn in! I can run (trail with hills are the best) 7 or 8 miles and burn about 1200 cal, that's a good day to lose a pd or two and eat really good that day too! But usually on a typical day I workout at home p90x and my heart rate monitor says on average depending on which video I'm doing I burn anywhere from 275-700. Hope that helps. If you're using a machine up the incline, up the intensity, get a really good sweat in for at least 45 min at least 4 days a week, you'll see great results. Just keep watching cal too:) good luck!
  • AndreaWyland
    AndreaWyland Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My hrm says I burn 700 JUST with the p90x plyo, I bet some days you burn way more than 700 with plyo and a run, thats awesome!
  • reikichris
    Options
    Thank you so much! This has been very helpful. I am going buy a heart rate monitor. I think I may vary my workout as well.

Thanks again! And a big Wow! Great Job! to you all.