White Rock Lake Dallas Half Marathon

Options
About to sign up for the half marathon in May. Does anyone have ANY tips or suggestions or things they learned along the way to help me? *ANYTHING*

What foods helped fuel you?

What shoes did you wear?

Something bad happen? And how did you remedy it?

Something you learned along the way?

Also, anyone in the Dallas/Plano area that would like to train with me or have encouraging words feel free to friend me :smile:

Replies

• elizabethl27
    elizabethl27 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first half-marathon in March. Please let me know anything you learn and any advice you have!!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I signed up as well. I'm not an experienced runner at all. I did my first timed 5k in October. I signed up with some friends because I find that when I'm training for something, I focus on working out and eating better and I'm not so stressed & obsessed about losing weight.

I googled "half marathon training" and some different websites popped up. I checked a few out (most are 10 week programs) and modified it to suit my workout schedule. I also have a friend who is a run coach for Run On! and I ask her for advice all the time.

I'll send you a friend request. Good luck ;-)
  • lmackey01
    Options
    I am currently training for my sixth half marathon. It's my favorite distance to race! I don't use any specific foods to fuel me. If you do your long runs on Saturdays, eat carbs Thursday or Friday night to fuel you. You will definitely need your carbs. Have you been running very long? It's so important to have the right shoe to avoid injury. Go to your local running store (a specialty store like Fleet Feet, not big box like ****'s) where they can measure you, analyze your gait, and get you in the right shoe for you. I tend to overpronate and run in the Brooks Glycerin. I have also had the Adrenaline.

Do you have a training plan yet? I like to follow Hal Higdon's. Since this is your first I suggest the novice training program. You don't have to follow it to a 'T', but it is good to have a guide, especially for the long run distances. It would also be helpful to run a 5k or 10k as part of your training program to get your legs used to turning over faster. A general rule of thumb is to never increase your weekly mileage by 10%. This also helps prevent injury. You can experiment with energy gels and drinks to see if they help. Beware that they can cause stomach upset :) Lots of people like the Gu or Hammer gels or chomps. I like Sports Beans and maybe Gatorade.

Good luck! Crossing that finish line is such a great feeling! Mine is April 10 and I can't wait!
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    FOODS-- Load up on berries, carbs, protein. Runner's World.com has some other tips.

SHOES- Get fit tested for the right pair to fit your stride. I like Nike and Brooks, but its all up to what fits you

BAD HAPPENED- I hurt my IT Band. The hardest thing was just taking time off.

SOMETHING LEANRED- How is important it is to live in the moment of the race.

I ran 4 half marathons last year and will be participating in my first full in June. It is a wonderful experience.

HAVE FUN!
  • chiarunner
    Options
    The foods that really helped me whilst in training for endurance events are mostly of the green leafy variety. I made Broccoli a daily addiction. Apparently dark greens assist in respiratory functions, and I can certainly agree with that.

I personally wear Newtons, however, I've been known to rock some Mizunos and Asics from time to time. The important thing to remember is your feets are unique and beautiful snowflakes. What works for us may certainly not work for you. Get down to a RunTex or some kind of store that specializes in running gear. Let them check your feets and gait and they will give you a good understanding of your unique needs (pronation, supination, heel striker, forefoot runner, blah blah blah). I have a neutral gait and a midfoot strike whereas my fiance supinates and is a heel striker. Everyone has their schtick. Don't take people's "one size fits all" advice, it might hurt you :-(.

If Brooks work for you, I highly recommend them. I have friends that get way more mileage out of theirs than I do with mine.

The best lesson I ever learned was to listen to my body. Feed it when it's hungry, adjust when it hurts. Shin splints? Slow your roll, try to focus on not pushing off with your toes. Find your magic gait that allows you to settle into runner-bliss. When you're stiff, try out some dynamic stretches. Never ever underestimate the value of warming up and always remember to "go" before you go because that slight notion will turn into a civil infraction if you ignore it :-).

Happy training! BTW -- I agree, Hal's kind of rad.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been running for awhile, but nothing really over 4-5 miles. I have 12 weeks to train, and yes I'm following Hal Higdon's program.

I got fitted at Luke's Locker, but I'm going to try a more minimalist shoe the Saucony Kinvara to help strengthen my feet (I tend to pull muscles and tendons in my feet)

I have yet to try some Gu that I bought. One is lemon flavored and the other is vanilla bean.

Thanks for the friend invites and keep me updated with anything new you guys learn :)
  • chiarunner
    Options
    Gu always upset my tummy, but it sure is effective. I like the Vanilla Bean one. I'm easy though, I get by just using maple syrup.

Brendan Brazier's book "Thrive" has a lot of recipes for veg/natural ingredient based gels and nourishment for long runs/workouts if you'd like to try something a little more DIY. His plan is a little extreme-vegan, but he's kind of awesome.

I got my Newtons at Luke's Locker -- I couldn't be happier. They have a great chain going.

I had the same issues with my feet. I think I also got a stress fracture in one of them doing the 2008 Portland Marathon :-(. I picked up Vibram FiveFingers to wear around the office. If you can get over looking like a freak in a 3-piece suit, they really help strengthen all the little connective tissues and such.