To pump or not to pump...with a cold

Options
My son has had a cold. I woke up this morning and can feel it coming on. I started on Zicam to hopefully shorten the length of it. I do not like to change my workout schedule and today is Body Pump at the gym. Would you go to Body Pump if you felt a cold coming on? I'm also supposed to run 6 miles tomorrow for my half marathon training. Would you continue on with that?

Replies

• Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honestly...I would continue. I was reading some stuff from Jillian Michaels and she said to push through a cold, but if it turns into chills, fever, and the flu symptoms, then calm the cardio down and just do strength.

Have fun tonight!!! :)
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Just follow the neck rule! If all of the symptoms you're experiencing are above the neck, you should be good to continue, just stay super hydrated since colds (and cold meds) can quickly dehydrate you! If the symptoms are below the neck, I'd sit it out and focus on getting better. Hope that helps!
  • RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    First (this may sound gross but I swear it works) eat 1 clove of raw garlic... that will boost your immune system and kick the cold out. If you are worried about bad breath, sipping on a glass of low fat milk will neutralize the odor. Second, light exercise will help you drain any congestion. I don't think you should do any vigorous exercising right now though. you need to give your body time to heal so you don’t make your self worse. Also load up on vitamin C. Odwalla C Monster juice work wonders. Hope this helps!
  • jaedre
    jaedre Posts: 22
    Options
    i would push yourself too. i came down with a cold on tuesday and i still went and did cardio. no weights because i felt weak due to the cold but i went and got a good sweat now its thursday and i feel back to normal. also drink alot of orange juice. vitamin C will help you
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    depends, if you feel tired or run down, it might not be a good idea to do it. You're body is going to need the extra energy to fight the sickness, so stressing it probably won't help shorten the cold.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    First (this may sound gross but I swear it works) eat 1 clove of raw garlic... that will boost your immune system and kick the cold out. If you are worried about bad breath, sipping on a glass of low fat milk will neutralize the odor. Second, light exercise will help you drain any congestion. I don't think you should do any vigorous exercising right now though. you need to give your body time to heal so you don’t make your self worse. Also load up on vitamin C. Odwalla C Monster juice work wonders. Hope this helps!

I don't have any raw garlic handy, but I have garlic that is already minced. Will that work? I'm currently trying to decide HOW I would go about eating it...holding my nose? LOL I love garlic, but geez!!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    You're planning on going to the gym with your illness?
    So others can get it too?
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    You're planning on going to the gym with your illness?
    So others can get it too?

I knew I'd get some feedback like this and trust me, I'm a huge germaphobe and would never go to the gym if I was hacking and coughing or sneezing because I wouldn't want others to get it. I'm not doing any of these things right now, I just have a little bit of a sore throat and that could be allergies. I'm just ASSUMING its a cold.. I'm not sure.. but just so you know, I clean my gym equipment before and after I use it and use hand sanitizer that is readily available at my gym numerous times while I'm there whether I think I'm getting sick or not. I consider myself responsible when it comes to things like that. I hope everyone woule be.