Heart Rate in the 200s

Options
When I work out and check my heart rate it is always above recommended range (usually 170-180 at a moderate pace), though I know everyone is different it still concerns me. I've always been fairly active, and now have been back into my normal workout routines since November, but I haven't noticed an improvement in my heart rate. When I actually push myself, it goes up into the 200's and I feel like I could push myself even more but my heart rate concerns me. It's happened on both the treadmill and elliptical, and I'm sure on the stairclimber as well but there is no monitor on there. I'd like to invest in a HR monitor but I don't have any extra money for that right now. How concerned should I be?

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    When your HR is that high, maybe confirm it via the old fashion way (count pulse for 10 secs then multiply by 6) to rule out it's not the HRM that malfunctioning.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Its on several different machines and also on both the elliptical and treadmill
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Invest!!! Trust me you are not over 200. Unless you have a heart rate monitor you should never believe that to be true. when we do the 6 sec count I come up with 200 and my HRmax is much lower than that and that is something in your body that never changes. The 6 or 10 second count can be really off and that is why heart monitors are best. Also those rates they tell you to work out in are soooo different for everybody because you have to take into account your resting HR. There is so much more to it. Anyhow-again I would invest in the monitor. If you want to give me all your info-I can find out where you should be working at, but doing the count and multiplying is not a good indicator.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Oh you measure it on the machine-the defiantly do the count. The best is counting for 15 and multiply by 4. If you are getting a number near 200 I would go to your doc. However how do you feel when it is saying you are at this HR?
  • katzplay62
    Options
    So your heart rate is getting up there but how's your recovery time? If HR is 200 when you stop, rest for 1 minute then recheck. It should recover very fast if you're working hard regularly.

I used to do martial arts and after a 2-3 minute kata or sparring, my heart would be pounding at 170+ but after I rested for a minute it'd be back down in the 70s or 80s. Even now a trip up 4 flights of stairs puts me over 150 but a minute later, back into the 80s.

Cheers

Kat
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I don't consider the HRM on the machines very accurate. Mine was always all over the place (if it read it at all). I did purchase a Polar FT7 which I love. I run and/or do some form of cardio & weights 6 days a week. Especially when I run, my heart rate is around 90% or above...during races it can go above 100%. I was nervous to push too hard when I first started using my monitor but decided to listen to my body instead. If I feel good and comfortable I push a little. If I don't then I let off. My monitor sets a target heart rate which I've noticed has gotten higher over the months I've been using it--as I become more and more fit. I think you need to push your limits a little to see the improvement. With that being said you should always listen to what your body is telling you. If it isn't comfortable then stop.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    actually I would recommend counting for a whole 60 seconds not just 10 or 15 seconds

also even hrm are sometimes a little off-especially when first putting on the chest strap- moistening the chest strap a bit helps this often- today while turning on the tv for zumba dvd my hrm said I was at 189% - I moistened it and it went down to 38%
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I guess I usually feel alright, sometimes I can feel my heart pound a bit. I like to interval train so for example when I was running today at 7.5 for a min, I went to 4.0 and the treadmill said 200 for my HR. And while walking at 4.0 for another minute it was usually around 170. I guess I should maybe really slow it down for a couple minutes and check it then to see the difference..
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    actually I would recommend counting for a whole 60 seconds not just 10 or 15 seconds

also even hrm are sometimes a little off-especially when first putting on the chest strap- moistening the chest strap a bit helps this often- today while turning on the tv for zumba dvd my hrm said I was at 189% - I moistened it and it went down to 38%

I moisten mine before each use and hand wash or use the gentle cycle when my readings start to get off. My rates seem to stay pretty consistant with the amount of effort I put in. I agree that HRM's aren't always 100% accurate, however, I think the chest strap monitors are more accurate than the machines and when being used as a tool in your fitness they are great.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Do a manual check to see if the machine is accurate.

There's absolutely no reason why a 6-second or a 15-second count should be any less accurate than a 60-second count - unless your heart is in an irregular rhythm (not impossible) in which case you definitely should see a doctor (irregular rhythm can be normal (sinus) but you want to KNOW that that's what it is, not find that you're e.g. flipping into AF).

(doi - paediatrician)