Polar HR monitors/cal. counters

saimabhaidani
saimabhaidani Posts: 145 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
I am thinkiing about getting me a HR monitor with calorie counter (the one without monthly subscription needed) as a reward for crossing 10lb loss mark (only .5 away) so I thought I should start researching, and what would be a better way to do it then to ask someone who has used it before??

I know lot of people have it and use it regularly, so if you could please tell me which model you have and what you like/dislike about it, I would love you all even more :) I was thinking about getting Polar FT40 or FA20, or anyother? not sure..............:frown:

Replies

• MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    There are lots of posts on HRMs.
    If you search for them there are lots of suggestions.
    I got a Polar FT4 on Monday and it's great.
    Makes my workouts more fun somehow! :o)
  • ZacFields
    ZacFields Posts: 62 Member
    I've got the FT7.

From my understanding, the quality and accuracy should be the same with all of them because they use the same algorithm to calculate calories. The biggest difference will be the features that come with the watch.
  • I've had a Polar F11 for about 3 years now and LOVE it! I haven't had any experience with the two you have mentioned so I can't say.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    The best thing about polars-if you workout at a gym-the machines are usually compatible with polar. So your monitor would work with the machines. Whatever you do make sure the one you get has a chest band.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    I've got the FT7.

From my understanding, the quality and accuracy should be the same with all of them because they use the same algorithm to calculate calories. The biggest difference will be the features that come with the watch.

Does that model come with a chest band?
  • carloscuellar
    carloscuellar Posts: 2 Member
    I recently purchased the FT40. It is the 'big brother' to the FT7. I believe the only difference is that the FT40 has a fitness test that is comparable to a VO2MAX number. They are otherwise identical. Amazon is a great place to get either. I have worked out for an entire month using the HRM every time. I then enter the time and calorie burns under Exercise>My Exercise. It's the best way I know to track calories burned and Polar is a great product. No complaints.
  • erlpet
    erlpet Posts: 4 Member
    I have the FT40, comes with a comfy chest band and is very easy to use. Measures kcal, hearthrate and estimates VO2max based on resting hearth rate. It also let you choose what zone you're hearth rate should be in (fat burn/fitness).

Saves reports showing duration, kcal, avg/max hearthrate. With extra equipment you can transfer the stats to a computer (haven't bought this yet, so don't know if you get more detailed stats).
  • lucybp
    lucybp Posts: 193
    The best thing about polars-if you workout at a gym-the machines are usually compatible with polar. So your monitor would work with the machines. Whatever you do make sure the one you get has a chest band.

Very true about the chest band. It keeps the most accurate reading. I've had the RS400 for about 3 years now and I love it. I can upload workouts (zone training etc) if I wish and work out accordingly. I also love that the machines are compatible with polar, so the LCD displays an accurate HR reading.

HR monitors are a must!
  • jrcboiler
    jrcboiler Posts: 12 Member
    I just got a Polar FT4 this past weekend. I've used it a couple times, and it's great! The chest band is pretty comfy and it seems to be pretty accurate on the calorie count. I had a cheaper watch style one before, and while it worked fairly well I like the continuous monitoring of the chest band. I think Polar is definitely the way to go.
  • saimabhaidani
    I've got the FT7.

Do you have to keep pressing the button to register your heart rate on this model, or does it display it automatically???
  • saimabhaidani
    I just got a Polar FT4 this past weekend. I've used it a couple times, and it's great! The chest band is pretty comfy and it seems to be pretty accurate on the calorie count. I had a cheaper watch style one before, and while it worked fairly well I like the continuous monitoring of the chest band. I think Polar is definitely the way to go.

with FT4 do you have to register your heartrate by pressing buttons, or does it keep changing your heartrate automatically as your heartrate fluctuates............. thank you for your help.
  • jrcboiler
    jrcboiler Posts: 12 Member
    with FT4 do you have to register your heartrate by pressing buttons, or does it keep changing your heartrate automatically as your heartrate fluctuates............. thank you for your help.
    [/quote]

It has a chest band and automatically updates :)
This discussion has been closed.