I hit a plateau….getting discouraged…..

Options
So, I've been working super hard, and I'm almost to my goal. I have about 5-7 pounds left, and I REALLY am determined to hit my goal. The downer here, I hit the plateau….. I've been trying to change up work outs a bit, but thats tough, and life has just been really busy….. Anyone know how long the plateau can last? Any tips?? I'm so ready to drop the last couple pounds and move on to maintenance, but I really do wanna hit my goals, it just makes this plateau that much tougher….

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Well it could last a week or weeks or months... but I know you can get out of it... Maybe try playing with your calorie intake a little and see if that helps. Also change up your routine for exercise... Maybe try a different exercise you haven't tried? You can do it, you've done great so far.. just keep looking forward!
  • apeman
    apeman Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've been reading a ton on how to break through. Not getting anything new that is inspiring on how to do it though.
  • SamWTFx3
    Options
    Well, my mom told me that sometimes if you just stop your diet for a day and don't exercise, then the next day, your plateau should be gone. You could use that for a cheat day I guess. Or do a cheat meal and don't work out for one day. Or go on a walk if you don't want to not workout lol.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    mines have been 4 months to lose the last ten pounds i started a new diet and so far have eight more to go! good luck those last bits are the hardest!!!!
  • abeth1387
    Options
    I'd say, hit the weights. Strength training will definitely help you to build more muscle, therefore burn more fat. You may not see it on the scale right away but it could help.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Try adjusting your cal intake to maintenance levels for a week, then start a deficit again afterwards. This will help fire up the metabolism a little.

Don't panic when you notice a slight weight increase for that week...it'll be water weight.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Have you revised your weight loss goals to reflect a slower pace of weight loss? As you lose weight and your body has less stored fat, your body can only operate at a lower calorie deficit. Since you only have 5 pounds left, you really should be only targeting to lose half a pound a week at most. Anything more than that, and you're body may think it's too much and not lose any weight at all.

I can't see your diary so I can't comment for sure, but revising your goal and allowing yourself more calories each day may help jump start you to weight loss.
  • ✿KẙMb529✿
    Options
    I have 5 more to lose too and it isn't budging. I recentely changed my calorie intake (to more) and I'm hoping I'll see a difference soon. I'm pretty sure I'm getting more toned though. Just try to look at the positive. Even if the scale isn't moving, YOU should keep moving! Keep reminding yourself of all the hard work you've done to get where you are now. And if the calorie increase helps me, I'll let you know!:happy:
  • KittMahan
    KittMahan Posts: 106
    Options
    You've got the right idea.. when you hit plateau you have to confuse your body and metabolism, get an average calorie count and vary your diet from day to day around that average, one day go 300 calories over and the next go 300 under...

Also, yes, your body will "learn" exercise routines and conserve energy... pick a new exercise you always wanted to try but never did, or return to something you used to like but havent done for a while...

You can beat the plateau, you'll do it... hang in there!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Here's a good article that should hopefully explain some of this to you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/153704-myth-or-fact-simple-math-3500-calories-one-pound-eat