Calling all ladies...

Options
This is a personal question and might be TMI BUT...how does your period effect your exercise routine? I know most say that exercising helps get rid of cramps...but what if the cramps are so bad that all you do is lay in one place with a heating pad? I just want to sleep or sit in my chair all night...

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Not at all.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I've noticed my cramps intensifying a little after a workout, but I've always been one with horrible periods. The only thing that has helped me is taking like 4 aspirin and/or being on the birth control pill.

I still exercise though.
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    This just made me realize I don't remember the last time I've had cramps from my period. wow...sorry I'm not too helpful!
  • meggersd
    Options
    So I drink MORE water during my period and with the cramps I used to not workout on my period but it actually helps the cramps go away. Maybe not the first month but you will definitely start noticing the pain lessening in a bit GIVE IT A TRY! good luck!!
  • Strawberry_Moonlight
    Options
    It does effect my routine a little. Often times I am concerned I might "make a mess" or my cramps are too much. What I do to meet nature and my body half way is sit in a chair and do some leg raises and arm exercises. I might not get full on aerobic,but at least it's a little something to keep the muscles going.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I actually have the same experience some months. So I try to watch what I eat, drink some tea and take that day off from my workout, give myself a break. Because seriously, in those moments, I do not care! Then I try to push it a little more the next day.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    You need to do whatever works for you. Most of the time I have no problem exercising thru TOM but if it's going to make me miserable I'll chill the heck out.
  • JRIV60
    JRIV60 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    This is a personal question and might be TMI BUT...how does your period effect your exercise routine? I know most say that exercising helps get rid of cramps...but what if the cramps are so bad that all you do is lay in one place with a heating pad? I just want to sleep or sit in my chair all night...
    I am the same way - so far during "that time" (first day or so) I have just stayed within my calorie goals.
  • Gogo76
    Gogo76 Posts: 581
    Options
    The more exercise you do when you are not on your period will help stave off the really bad cramps and other PMS symptoms when you are on, and it can make your cycle lighter and shorter. Think of it in terms of prevention, not in terms of treatment.
  • timidtyger
    Options
    oh man for me exercise seems to make the cramps worse. so i dont exercise at all during my T.O.M
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It completely wipes all the energy out of me. I feel hungry, but have no desire to eat, move, exercise, leave the house, etc. And if I have cramps....ugh.....yeah, that time is not good.
  • Tipring
    Tipring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    how funny, I was pretty much wondering the same thing. I was mega B@#CH last night. And I realized I went over my daily calorie count. Had horrible cramps this morning, and after exercising and walking I am ok.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options

I completely understand where you are coming from and in all honesty, you just have to do your best to push yourself. If you don't want to live your home, then try to work on some yoga (DVDs can be cheap or even exercises can be found online). This way, your body is moving but you aren't forcing yourself to do anything intense. Also stay hydrated and take your time. Good luck!
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I am the same, plus it seems to make me really lethargic around that time, AND hungry constantly! Ijust accept that the few days before and into my time is not a losing weight time for me, and I try to watch my calories closer, so that I don't gain anything.
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I experienced this - this week! I haven't had cramps in a long time but all of a sudden the bloating and cramps crept up on me. I just wanted to lay down in the bed til it went away eating cheese and chocolate LOL. Ah well it doesn't work that way. I got up and took 2 pamprin or midol because I don't have time for cramps or bloating. I did wait a good 30min-1hr then I hit the workouts hard! I also watched my sodium and increased my water. It does go away and you have to work out even harder to get rid of the cramps and bloating feeling.
  • audreyyrose
    Options
    i've heard that ginger tea with a bit of milk and honey works wonders on cramps.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I generally try to do a less intense workout...maybe walk for 3 or 4 miles instead of jogging (I have dogs so I have to take them anyway!). Also do light strength training. However, if your cramps are that bad every month then you may want to talk to your OB/GYN about it. Not sure what your beliefs are on birth control (or if you are trying to conceive) but there are some out there that help cramps or only have your period every 3 months.

Another question-Does anyone else get really hungry the week prior to that TOM? If so, how do you control your cravings?
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I usually don't get cramps! If I do, they are little butterfly nervous cramps.. which don't really count. However, if I do ever get bad cramps I don't work out. I mean, if I'm sick I don't work out.. so why force your body into pain if you aren't feeling your best? I find taking a pain killer helps..

I usually continue my usual workout routine though during my period.
  • katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started my "healthy lifestyle change" 4 weeks ago....just joined My Fitness Pal 5 days ago. I've always had TERRIBLE periods....cramps that wake me up in the middle of the night....miserable, very heavy. BUT, since I have changed my diet....cut out much of the sugar and all the junk food, drinking water and milk (no soda or juice) and being sure to exercise every day (or at least 6 days a week) my last period was AWESOME! I hardly noticed it!. I didn't have any cramps at all, lighter flow, and I felt better than I ever remember! In fact, I even mentioned it to my husband when I realized how great I was feeling. I even did my regular gym routines including Zumba! No problems at all! I really think that my body is much happier with my new healthier way of living and it is making a difference.
    Maybe you will start to notice a difference as well?
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    I had this problem as well and found out it was mostly from my PCOS. I was working out everyday for 6 days before I started TOM and I actually had a better experience this month! If you know when your cycles is, it may help to get some great workouts beforehand so hopefully it will help with the cramping during. But every body is different but its always worth a try :happy: