Workout schedule Cardi vs Strength Training

jillybean0603
jillybean0603 Posts: 4
edited September 23 in Motivation and Support
Hi everyone!
I began my weight loss journey on January 1st. Since I have started I have been eating 1200 calories a day and excersing 45minutes to 1 hour a day 6X a week. Most of my excercise is cardio but I have been doing circuit strength training (Curves) 1 day a week. I am getting frustrated because the weight just isn't coming off. I have only lost 2lbs since the beginning of Jan. and I have gone from doing no excercise to doing it 6 days a week why aren't I losing? I know I need to include more stregth training but lifting weights is very intimidating for me so that is why I do the circuit because at my gym it is women's only. Right now I try and do 30 minutes on the treadmill (I am up to about 10 minutes running) and 30 minutes doing the 5K training program on the bike. Any advice. I was really hoping to be down 10lbs by the time my hubby and I took a cruise on Valentine's Day but with the way things are going that is not going to happen:( Any tips or advice?

Replies

• bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? If not, you may not be eating enough. I'm in the same boat as you. I have been working out 5-6x a week and haven't had any loss in 3 weeks. I upped my calories a bit over the past two days (about 200 more calories a day) and today the scale moved in the right direction. Don't give up, you are doing great! You will start to see all your hard work pay off if you stick to you, and maybe eat a little more :wink:

Good luck!
  • Dont forget muscle is heavier than fat, you may not see alot of pounds come off, but are you physically more toned/tight then when you started?
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Not enough calories. Assuming you are female 1200 is about what you would need to do this routine:

An intense full body weight lifting routine of:

8-12 exercises that cover the entire body. One set per exercise with enough weight to produce momentary muscle failure in the 8-12 repetition range. A repetition takes 6 seconds, 3 positive movement, 3 negative movement. You move as quickly as possibly to the next exercise. Your heart rate should match up close to your cardio. There are plenty of videos on you tube for High Intensity Weight Training. A participant would need to understand what the intensity needed really is.

You would do that routine 2-3 times per week and eventually scale it back to only 2 a week or 3 workouts in 14 days.

You would drink a gallon of cold water per day.

You would drop fat rather quickly, usually significantly in 6 weeks. If you were new to weight training, you would put on more muscle than someone who has already been doing some form of weight training.

Here's a link to enter all your info and see what you should really be taking in. I'm guessing 300-600 more which depends on your current weight.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • Make sure every few weeks you are changing up your routine. Your body is not stupid, and it will get used to what you are doing and you will hit a wall. I love keeping things on edge by doing Hight Intensity Interval Training for my cardio and when I lift weights I will toss in a piece of foam to stand on so I have to keep my core tight to balance myself as I lift. Keep your body guessing.

When you are eating your calories back, make sure it is the right stuff. The list I go by is the Abs Diet Challenge power 12...

Almonds & Other Nuts (also pumpkins seeds, sunflower seeds, avocados)
    Beans & Other Legumes (lentes, peas, hummus)
    Spinach & Other Green Veggies
    Dairy Products (fat-free or low-fat)
    Instant Oatmeal (high-fiber, unsweetened, unflavored, I also like the Weight Control)
    Eggs
    Turkey & Other Lean Meat (shellfish, canadian bacon)
    Peanutbutter (all natural, cashew & almost butters, flaxseed)
    Olive Oil (canola oil, peanut oil, sesame oil)
    Whole-Grain Breads & Cereals (brown rice, whole wheat pastas)
    Extra-Protein (Whey) Powder
    Raspberries & Other Berries (apples, grapefruit)

I hope these put a few more tools in your weightloss toolbox.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Eat more & work out harder.

We bought a used Bowflex machine (resistance training) for $300 so I learned how to use it in the privacy of my home. If you can swing it maybe you should consider buying a used piece of workout equipment and teach yourself some strength training?
  • Thanks for all of your advice. I never took into consideration the calories I am burning from excercise. I will up my calorie intake a little bit. How many days a week should I be doing weight lifting?
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You should be strength training 3 times a week. Work your whole body and give it a day of rest, then lift again. You could even do something as simple as pilates. It's great for toning and building muscle. Resistance bands work WONDERS!!! :happy: Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.