1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/4 cup puffed rice cereal
1/4 cup puffed wheat cereal
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar-free pancake syrup
1/2 cup bite-size freeze-dried apples
Serving suggestion: Fat-free vanilla yogurt and fresh berries

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine oats, puffed rice, puffed wheat, and pancake syrup, stirring gently to coat the oats and cereal with the syrup.

Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray and spread the cereal mixture out on the pan.

Bake in the oven until crispy and lightly browned, 30 to 35 minutes, rearranging mixture with a spatula halfway through.

Allow to cool completely, and then stir in the apples. Dig in!

PER SERVING (entire recipe, about 1 cup): 165 calories, 1.25g fat, 70mg sodium, 35.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 10g sugars, 4g protein

Replies

• wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Ha! You're watching The Cooking Channel right now, aren't you? Me, too! Can't wait to see how she turns KALE into a swap for chips?!?
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Ha! You're watching The Cooking Channel right now, aren't you? Me, too! Can't wait to see how she turns KALE into a swap for chips?!?

yes maam! I LOVE this show!! Her butternut squash fries are SOOO delicious!!
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I saw hungry girl make this on her show one Saturday. I have not tried it yet. I have three of her shows taped until I get around to writing down her recipes. Best show to ever come on is Hungry Girl on the cooking channel.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I love baked kale chips! My kids ask for them all the time!
  • MBSNANA
    MBSNANA Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Christie, you have tried the butter nut squash? It looked good but I was not sure how it would taste. Now turning kale into chips? I don't think so. I don't like kale.lol
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Christie, you have tried the butter nut squash? It looked good but I was not sure how it would taste. Now turning kale into chips? I don't think so. I don't like kale.lol

Yes!! They are outstanding... fries are a weakness of mine and my daughter's and until I tried those, I was making sweet potato fries like crazy! Butternuts are always a pain to work with, but suuuuuuuuper yummy. I sprinkled mine with smoked paprika and a touch of chipotle chile powder. Fantastic!
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Do the butternut squash fries ... um ... taste a lot like butternut squash? I'm not a huge fan, but I know that different cooking techniques can alter the flavor and texture of certain things.
  • MaureenCK
    Options
    I can't wait to try the granola recipe and the butternut squash fries. I just bought my first butternut squash and kale, ever. I had a taste of the fresh kale. Not so good. However.... baked is a whole different story! I cannot believe how good it came out. I tried various seasonings, too. I have a new love, and knowing it's good for you is a wonderful bonus!
  • lhiatt
    lhiatt Posts: 21
    Options
    I finally caught up with Hungry Girl's episodes on my DVR and had to look up the granola recipe! Thanks for posting! I went out and got the stuff for that, the Kale chips AND squash fries. The jury is still out on the Kale Chips. They seemed bitter to me...but I think I overcooked it a little, I'll try it one more time. Dying for granola though, I hope its good! Thanks for posting it!