Chaffing - The "Big Boys" sports injury

Tomhusker
Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Got a case of chaffing from my walk a few days ago. I have not walked (for distance/time) or anything since. I am treating it with Gold Bond and I have ordered some pressure shorts for future workouts/walks. I hate that I miss working out and walking, but after a few minutes it really starts to heat up again.

Is this something that will be recurring? Will the pressure short solve the problem? Should I wait until it is completely gone before starting up again?

Thanks!

Replies

• LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    I know there are some products out there for chafing. Try googling Body Glide or Lanacane Anti-Chafing Gel. I'm pretty sure if you exacerbate it it will just keep coming back, but something like Body Glide should help in the future.
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Compression shorts will help a lot. Just make sure the inseam is longer then you think you need. I got mine too short and they roll up on me and I feel like they're cutting of the circulation! If it's colder out, a pair of running tights might be a good option too. That will keep it from happening.
  • bullmastifflover
    bullmastifflover Posts: 128 Member
    My husband occasionally has the same problem and uses A&D ointment...might give that a try.
  • dmhaag
    dmhaag Posts: 172 Member
    My husband had this problem very bad, until we did a complete overhaul in his underwear. He used to wear loose boxers, and now he wears the boxer briefs. Regular boxer briefs work wonders for our short walks around the neighborhood, and if we have a day trip planned to go hiking, he wears the athletic version which are tighter fitting and have a little longer legs (probably similar concept to the pressure shorts).
  • I agree with the compression shorts. Last summer when I was heavier and I went for walks, I would (shhhh!) take a thing of antiperspirant with me and use it on the inside of my thighs. I then found compression shorts and the problem was solved!

Good luck, and congrats on your journey!
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    I bought some body glide type stuff that is for athletics. It was like a deoderant stick. Inever got to use it much to say if it worked well. But my X used to have this problem when he ran. I sewed him someIt slinky biker short style pants to wear under his shorts. Before that he used to lather on the vasoline between his legs before a run. I don't know how comfortable or effective that would be, but i'm sure it rubs off. The silky layer of pants like a spandex under pant type thing (bike type shorts) worked perfectly.
  • cmel6334
    cmel6334 Posts: 41 Member
    I either use compression shorts or if it's cold out I use long johns!!
This discussion has been closed.