Unable to exercise - reassurance please?!

Lewzy
Lewzy Posts: 54 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So since I started losing weight, I'd been using the elliptical as my cardio since I had one at home and that was working out great for me. I enjoyed doing it and it was giving me the results I wanted. Then, my Dad ordered a treadmill. I started using it and after about 2 days of using it, I started to have pain in my feet. I didn't think a lot of it and continued exercising. After 3 days, the pain in my right foot is almost unbearable! I can hardly walk on it :( I think it's because I didn't wear suitable shoes for it, but there again I don't really own any trainers. I just need reassurance that i won't put weight on by not exercising for a week or so, please?! I'm not going over my calorie allowances (I'm under by around 400 most days!) so in theory I shouldn't put the weight back on - but I just feel so lazy! I haven't been able to exercise for 3 days now and my foot isn't getting any better! I just don't want my hard work to go to waste :( I've worked so hard to shift all these pounds. I'm so frustrated right now.

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    You can sit in a chair and throw punches to keep your heart rate up. Or get some hand weights and focus on strength training. Also, a few days of recovery won't ruin all that you have accomplished. However---eat! You should not be 400 calories below goal regularly. Eating that goal number of calories will help you lose weight in a healthy way you can sustain, even if you are not working out right now. Your body needs fuel to work!
  • okay so deep breaths,,just cut ur calorie intake a little more ..thats all....:tongue:
  • I was out of commission for 6 weeks with a pinched nerve and I couldnt work out at all. I still managed what I ate and I actually ended up losing like 15lbs! You will be fine;)

You can always do some weights for your upper body. Try to google some exercises that do not require you being on your feet. Crunches, chest press, bicep curls, triceps, stretching will be great too.

Good luck, you can do it!
  • Are you able to swim somewhere? It shouldn't load the foot but that is up to your doctor

Just a thought an indoor pool and some laps have other effects besides exercise...it can actually be very relaxing.

otherwise hang in there it will get better
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    It shouldn't hurt you too much by taking some time off. however, I would suggest you go and see a doctor and purchase some proper shoes before you continue exercising. Also keep watching your diet. If you're routinely 400 calories under you may want to reassess your calorie goals. If you check out the benedicts formula (google it) you can find out the minimum amount of calories you should consume in order to support your metabolic function. If you're not consuming enough calories to support your base caloric needs you may find yourself gaining weight. I hope you're foot and knee gets better soon :)
  • Changes, if they occur, do so over a longer period of time than a few days. Normally, what you have sounds like plantar fasciitis or a bone spur but that generally takes a while to develop so I'd guess it was some kind of arch strain -- do you have high arches or flat feet? That kind of bio-mechanical issue can be solved with an orthotic. (You can try some of the commercial supports they sell in the foot section of your local pharmacy.) Weight gain or loss is simple - take in more than you burn in calories and you'll gain weight. The advantage of exercise is the "extra" calories you can consume while losing or maintain weight. As long as you reduce the appropriate amount every day that would be offset by exercise you will stay where you are.
  • alba_merula
    alba_merula Posts: 15 Member
    First, if the pain remains for a few days, you should show your feet to a doctor. It can be dangerous to left an injury untreated, and second, she or he can help you to recover sooner and thus continue excercising, which you miss now.

Don't worry about laziness, it's a word for not doing what you could. This is not the case. Just be patient with yourself, watch your calories (what you see on MFP as your goal is ALREADY enough to keep you losing weigh) -- if it helps. you may see this uninvited thing as a chance to focus on foods, and become an expert on how to stay within your calories even without the kcals you usually burn. It can be handy sometimes.

You most certainly won't lose your results, and plateaus occur, for numerous reason. They come, and they go, you can check them in the blogs section. Your body sometimes needs its time, but it's all perfectly okay.

Don't worry, call the doc if you need, and I hope you get better soon!

Melinda
This discussion has been closed.