couch to 5k

lindzjames1
lindzjames1 Posts: 6
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone or is anyone doing the c25k program? I'm currently on week 4 and wanted to get some feedback on it.

Replies

• kamorgozo
    kamorgozo Posts: 34 Member
    I'm doing it but I'm only on week 1. I started it a few years ago and got through week 4 or so but quit. I'm trying to take it pretty slow this time.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    I did this in June. I thought it was good, I downloaded the DJ beatsmith pod runner intervals, they were nice but all techno music so if the routine was the same it was the same music, so sometimes I would listen to my own music and use a stopwatch but I think there are aps that let you listen to your own music and then prompt you when to run and walk.
    I got stuck around week 7 or 8 but I just kept repeating it until I could advance.
    I thought it was so incredible when I could run 30 minutes straight! then I slacked off and decided I needed Gateway to 8k and did that. I like having a formula-so now it is .5 marathon training for me!
  • melkneec
    melkneec Posts: 309 Member
    The ipod touch and iphone has a great app where you can listen to your own music. Just search C25K in the app store. I love it! I'm just on week 2. :)
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    I completed C25K and just started the Bridge to 10K app on my iPhone.

I love love love it! Truly got me off the couch and running my first 5km event as promised.
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    i want to do it - i have signed up for a 10k event in may and i'd like to be able to get at least half way round by running it :)
    is the gateway to 8k just an extension of the c25k or a whole new one?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I was going to start week 6 today but a stomach bug sneaked up on me right after I shoveled the sidewalks & driveway. :grumble: Which I suppose is better than waiting until I got to the gym, but there's no GOOD time to get a stomach bug.

I love it. I'm doing a 5k in March with my brother and niece, and would love to be able to keep up, so I'm pushing myself a bit beyond the required running. I'm currently able to run 25 minutes. I'm slow (5mph) so that's a hair over 2 miles.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Gateway to 8k is a new 10 wk plan that builds up to running for 50 minutes:
    http://www.runsource.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=73&Itemid=376
  • crutherford1205
    crutherford1205 Posts: 18 Member
    Unfortunately, I have started this a few times. :( I always seem to stop at week 4. Need to try again, and actually stick to it. My husband is an avid runner, so I have definitely seen how running helps you physically, but just not motivated to go out in the cold and run.
  • Has anyone or is anyone doing the c25k program? I'm currently on week 4 and wanted to get some feedback on it.

I am doing it, and just completed W2D1. :-) How is Week 4? I can't believe i jogged for 3 minutes straight!
  • [quote

I am doing it, and just completed W2D1. :-) How is Week 4? I can't believe i jogged for 3 minutes straight!

Ha ha, what a goober, I meant that I just completed Week 3, Day 1! :-) How's everyone else doing?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Week 6, Day 1 yesterday. Even though I know I can jog up to 25 minutes, that first three is still the hardest for me. After the three minute point, it's gravy. It takes a while for me to get into a steady rhythm... then it feels as natural as walking. Except for all the sweating. :embarassed:

However, I realized that Saturday afternoon is a bad time to go to the gym. Nothing on the tvs but sports and infomercials. Not even bad tv like American Chopper, where I can at least pass the time counting how many times the dad says, "idee-er" instead of "idea." A half hour program on Pajama Jeans just doesn't capture my imagination. :laugh:
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    I am loving it! I'm doing it with my eleven year old son and we are getting ready to start week four. We repeated week three because he had a hard time with the five minute runs. But we really are having a good time with it though. I never thought I would be able to get back to running - it's how I stayed in shape while I was in college.
  • I am loving it! I'm doing it with my eleven year old son and we are getting ready to start week four. We repeated week three because he had a hard time with the five minute runs. But we really are having a good time with it though. I never thought I would be able to get back to running - it's how I stayed in shape while I was in college.

How fun! My 9 year old wants to do the program with me too. Right now I'm going to the gym. He can't wait until he's old enough to go with me. :-)
  • Woohoo, Week 3, Day 2 complete. Every day I complete is an accomplishment!
This discussion has been closed.