Heart rate monitors

Tracie65
Tracie65 Posts: 61 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So, yesterday I wore my hrm to work, just curious about how many calories I burn durring the day. When I got home I took it off, but left it running. When I took it off it said I burned about 600 calories. When I looked at it this morning after not wearing it all nigjt it said I had burned almost 2000 calories, but I wasnt even wearing it. Are heart rate monitors reliable?

Replies

• Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    joining the thread bc I'm curious too. I have a new one and I wonder about the validity of it....Mine is the watch type.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    do you have a chest strap with it too. As soon as I take off my wrist monitor and separate it from my chest strap, it tells me unable to detect heart rate. HRM with a chest strap are always going to be more reliable.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    I think that when they aren't receiving a signal, they default to the last reading that they had until they can pick back up the signal. So, while running, this makes sense as your heart rate doesn't go down to zero while running just becuase the signal gets interupted.

However, as you say, this gets wonky when you take it off while it is reading and continues to show you burning calories.

I don't think this means your HRM is not working. I think it is a limitation of the technology to know when you took the device off.

--Carter
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    I just ordered a Polar FT7 this week.....so of course I am curious.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    do you have a chest strap with it too. As soon as I take off my wrist monitor and separate it from my chest strap, it tells me unable to detect heart rate. HRM with a chest strap are always going to be more reliable.

no, mine didn't come w/ a chest strap.
  • Tracie65
    Tracie65 Posts: 61 Member
    I dont have a chest strap, I bought the New Balance watch heart rate monitor.
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    I just ordered a Polar FT7 this week.....so of course I am curious.
    i just received mine and it does come with a chest strap! I used it yesterday while running and today with my insanity workout! If yo don't wear the chest strap it doesn't pick up a HR!
This discussion has been closed.