Start up Suggestions for an Exercise Newbie

Options
Hey!

I started at 153lbs, but I ate a lot of junk and pop. I told myself that I would drop the first 8 pounds with calorie counting, and that when I got down to 145lbs, that I would start a cardio routine to help shed the dreaded last 20 pounds! Buuut, I'm a stay at home mom, and my husband takes our car to work (12 hour shifts). Needless to say, a gym membership is out of the question. I don't have a treadmill, but I have a stair stepper, and I'm willing to buy a few things to get started, some small weights, yoga mat, etc.

But i have no idea what I'm doing, any suggestions? I'd like to focus on all around cardio to burn fat, and toning my upper arms, thighs and belly.

Any help would be really appreciated! And feel free to add me as a friend!

Farmerswife87

Replies

• mama2healthy
    Options
    www.exercisetv.tv

I do Leslie Sansone im also a newbie and she is great you have her 1 and 2 mile videos on that site you will definetely see and feel a difference. Good luck :)
  • shadowofnature
    Options
    There are a lot of dance cardio videos that you can download from the internet or you can make a playlist of some from youtube. I really love the more unique ones, belly dancing and NY ballet. Pilates are masterful for toning! You can get a pilates bar from Wal-Mart for like 10 dollars too. Good luck!
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    How about an exercise video? You can get them for about $20, rent them free from the library or download them with on demand from Direct TV. Also, walking is one of the best starter exercises. Then of course there's also jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-up, leg lifts, and other basic muscle toning. You have so many options! Good Luck!
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer I suggest you begin by getting a good video and do it every day. I teach my clients all types of exercise but my favorite is Pilates and i suggest a STOTT Pilates video or dvd to start...get an "essential mat " class ...that is for beginners. Stott Pilates is in Toranto. A magic circle is one prop you should get from them (get the plastic not the metal ring) once you feel ready to advance buy their dvd with magic circle routines ....you will tone up quickly !
  • marianmaj
    marianmaj Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer I suggest you begin by getting a good video and do it every day. I teach my clients all types of exercise but my favorite is Pilates and i suggest a STOTT Pilates video or dvd to start...get an "essential mat " class ...that is for beginners. Stott Pilates is in Toranto. A magic circle is one prop you should get from them (get the plastic not the metal ring) once you feel ready to advance buy their dvd with magic circle routines ....you will tone up quickly !
  • Jourdan_Rystrom
    Jourdan_Rystrom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Please check out my profile...I have a lot of the weight-loss tips that worked for me!

I had the same starting weight as you - so I know how frustrating this can be! I lost my first 10 lbs doing Jillian Michael's DVDs. All I have at home is a pilates mat, 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb dumbbells. That's really all you need! I did her 30-Day Shred, Burn Fat Boost Metabolism, and the Strength workout (No More Trouble Zones). It really worked for me.

Good luck!
  • nikkicarter13
    nikkicarter13 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Do you have cable? I have comcast and on demand as an exercise tv option which has a bunch of different workouts to pick from. I think other cable companies have something similar. Walmart and Target both carry a bunch of workout DVDs for around $10 each. Then once you find a video or cable exercise tv you like, you will probably need some weights and a mat. Good luck!
  • Bmorrow
    Bmorrow Posts: 169
    Options
    Hey!

I started at 153lbs, but I ate a lot of junk and pop. I told myself that I would drop the first 8 pounds with calorie counting, and that when I got down to 145lbs, that I would start a cardio routine to help shed the dreaded last 20 pounds! Buuut, I'm a stay at home mom, and my husband takes our car to work (12 hour shifts). Needless to say, a gym membership is out of the question. I don't have a treadmill, but I have a stair stepper, and I'm willing to buy a few things to get started, some small weights, yoga mat, etc.

But i have no idea what I'm doing, any suggestions? I'd like to focus on all around cardio to burn fat, and toning my upper arms, thighs and belly.

Any help would be really appreciated! And feel free to add me as a friend!

Welcome Farmers wife,
    As a new MFP also, I have started the C25K program, downloaded on a BB or iPhone ...something you could do on the farm. Also, how about workin out with the kids and shows like Silly Songs or anything that moves...that's what counts! Welcome aboard and good luck on your journey.

Farmerswife87