How long does it take to enter starvation mode?

Options
2»

Replies

• LaurasClimb
    LaurasClimb Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I was on the "Alternate Day Diet" for over a year. Basically, I ate 500 calories every other day and ate whatever on the alternate days. I know, sounds crazy. But I lost 50 lbs and never went into starvation mode. Actually, the only reason I stopped was because I joined a gym and knew I needed more than 500 calories when I worked out.
  • KarlDR
    KarlDR Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'd also add that the figure of 1200 which is commonly referenced is not necessarily accurate for everyone. I am much bigger than most people, and I only have to drop to about 1800 for a week or so to see my weight loss stop dead until I've had a week of 2500 cals.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    There is starvation mode... there is also your body coping with you dropping your caloric intake and making adjustments on its own.

It's easy to just torture oneself with few calories to try to undo being fat... but that really usually backfires in your face for many reasons. I recommend researching it.

There is no silver bullet.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    How many days must one undereat in order to enter starvation mode? Would going under 1200 calories for just one day send the body into starvation mode? (Not that I have any trouble eating, haha, I'm just curious!)
    It takes a few weeks or more actually.

Usually after a long period of time on too little calories on some silly crash diet -- BOOM. .... metabolism starts to slow in an effort to save you from it's perceived famine...lol

This won't happen in one day or even a week on too little calories, so fear not, and this whole concept of "starvation mode" is a bit hyped.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    How many days must one undereat in order to enter starvation mode? Would going under 1200 calories for just one day send the body into starvation mode? (Not that I have any trouble eating, haha, I'm just curious!)

Usually after a long period of time on too little calories on some silly crash diet -- BOOM. .... metabolism starts to slow in an effort to save you from it's perceived famine...lol

This won't happen in one day or even a week on too little calories, so fear not, and this whole concept of "starvation mode" is a bit hyped.

I do kind of wonder if this still holds true for people with a history of yo-yo dieting, though. I wonder if we tend to go into starvation mode faster.

Maybe not, though, it might be that we simply end up with a slower metabolism at the start of our latest weight loss attempt.
  • Kikilicious84
    Options
    for me takes 10 mintues hahaha

Lmao this is what I was going to say!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

I do kind of wonder if this still holds true for people with a history of yo-yo dieting, though. I wonder if we tend to go into starvation mode faster.

Maybe not, though, it might be that we simply end up with a slower metabolism at the start of our latest weight loss attempt.
    For sure!
    It's different for everybody, and we must remember that the whole physiological response is an internal survival mechanism.
    It's a good thing!
    So, how can we use this? I use it with a weekly deficit offset with a high calorie "free day" to shock the metabolism.

And...it's just fun!