Please check out my diary-- what am I doing wrong?

Options
So I've been calorie counting since the beginning of January and on MFP since the middle of January. I lost 5 lbs of water weight right away and excitedly added it to my ticker... but then went back up. Okay, normal. no big deal. But the scale (and the tape measure) just will not drop now. My ticker is a lie because I didn't really lose that weight. I'm actually only a pound down from the beginning. I'm afraid I'm really overestimating or underestimating the impact of some food.

I know some people are good at / like to check other people's diaries. If you are one of those people, tell me what I could change, pretty please? ;)

Love this site. Everyone is so friendly and supportive!!

Replies

• MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Sure- I'll look. Hope I can help!
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I had a quick peak at your diary and the only thing I can suggest is to try to cut back on some of your calories:) With my 2 pound a week goal I eat 1200 plus some of my exercise calories...so I try to stay in and around 1400-1500.
  • jAdorelife
    Options
    your sodium intake is really high which makes you retain water, thus not losing as much weight...but everything else looks perfect, just watch the sodium & you should be good
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your exercise calories? Are you using a heart rate monitor, using the site's estimate, guessing?
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hmmm! I No expert by any means, but I did peek. Your meals seem to be scattered, no breakfast some days, no lunch other days etc etc. Rule of thumb is usually eat every 2-3 hours.
    Also, your sodium intake seems kinda high?! That will explain water gain and loss.
    I am interested in what others have to say also.
    Hope this helps!
  • khills83
    Options
    I think that your calorie goal is too high and your sodium intake is very high. Keep up the good work! You can do it.
  • maggieschuck
    Options
    Im not an expert but it looks like you are taking in more calories then you need. Try to stay at 1200 and don't eat the extra exercise calories. For the last few days your calorie intake has been over 1500. Drink lots of water and keep an eye on the sugar, salt and sodium. Check out my food to get some ideas for snack and meals. I meet with a dietitian to help me stay on track.
  • 123nikki123
    Options
    I just noticed that most mornings you don't eat breakfast!!! Big no no....your metabolism will slow down! On the days that you do eat breakfast, you're not eating a balanced meal. The sodium intake is sometimes too high, drink tons of water to flush it out. Good luck! I hope I've helped somewhat:)
  • ErrataCorrige
    ErrataCorrige Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I think your diary looks great! I don't think you need to worry about calories since you obviously get a lot of exercise. I say, just keep it up, and know that you are being healthy. Sometimes it takes time to kick your body into gear and let it get used to a change. If you are new to exercising so much your body may be holding weight until it figures out that it is going to continue to have enough fuel that it can burn off the extra. if you have dieted a lot in the past your body may also be reluctant to make changes.

Just stick with it!

p.s. I am very jealous of all the Trader Joe's stuff on your food log! I love their stuff, but they don't have them in CO. :(
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    You are doing great and I am now hungry for a salad with feta cheese. :laugh: This is what I found...skipping meals...your body might be confused and protecting it's caloric intake/fat from skipping them. The other thing I noticed is your water intake. If you are excercising as much as you are, you should be drinking a lot more water to make up for the lost water from sweating.
    I'm only on 25 days of this, so my advice may not be 100% accurate, but from what I see, those are some areas that might be making it so the scale isn't budging. Good luck hun!
  • simplynila
    simplynila Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I agee with Gibson76. You're meals seem really scattered! I would try to make your meals consistant, that in itself will help your metabolism! The sodium seems really high to me as well, which explains the water weight. You might try lowering your sodium and drinkig more water. You're calorie goal seems high too. I try to stick to about 1400-1600 and not eat many of my extra exercise calories unless i'm starving! I would try to keep your meals between 300-400 at a time and eat 4 meals a day rather than two huge meals :) hope that helps! Good luck!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    OK a couple of things.

First, when you log your exercise, are you going by your own heart rate monitor or machine read out? I think MFP's totally are a little over estimated- you have to factor in weight and intensity....When I started, I first got 500+ calories burned from 35 minutes of elliptical- but in reality its only about 350-ish. So you could actually be getting more of a calorie budget than you should.

Other things- try and make sure your meals are in the same ballpark as far as calories go- if I stay in the 300-400 range for each meal, I hit my target dead on.

Make sure you watch your sodium, and your fat/carb/protein ratio. I do a 20/40/40 split, and it works.

KEEP TRYING, tweak what you have to, and don't give up! You can do this!! :)
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    According to MFP you should be eating at least 1,200 calories a day. It seems you are way lite on calories. I don't know why you have your calories set so low, but you should try to reach for this goal so you don't go into so called starvation mode.

There are small meals you should be eating during the day to balance out your food intake. You really can strive for 3 meals and 2 snacks and still stay a tiny bit under your calorie goal and/or a tiny bit over.

Watch your sodium. Exercise at least 4 or 5 days a week. Eat back 1/2 of your exercise calories. Drink your water. This program works. You can do this. Stay focused and stay motivated. Study the calories and nutrients in your foods before you indulge. The program takes a little study and concentration, but you can do this!
  • atombud
    atombud Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would say eat every 2 to 3 hours small meals, 200 to 400 calories, lower your sodium intake, drink more water minimum of 8 glasses more if you can. balance your calories from fat you seem to be over on that quite a bit, up your fiber and protein intake. Hope this helps. Good luck
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    I agree --- many days you are netting well under 1000 cals. We can't see the net on your homepage, but I can see by your total for the day and then minus exercise cals you've earned......way too low hon.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Less sodium, more balanced meals. And eat more than an apple at beakfast! :smile:
  • leti333
    leti333 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree- try and eat 5-6 small balanced meals, 1 carb and 1 protein w veggies at one or two of those. It'll stabilize your blood sugar. I'd also add sugar to the categories you want to monitor and keep that down. Try and stay away from packaged foods too- eat clean.... Good luck
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    I guess I'm going to say the same as everyone else, some days you earn a lot from exercise but you don't see you eat enough on those days. I would say the same about your sodium intake; I have found on the days my sodium is high, I hold onto fluid. Drink plenty of water to compensate. Sometimes it can just take a while, it's taken me 51/2 months to lose 23lbs, you're making really great lifestyle changes, eating well and getting a lot of exercise, only good things can happen :-)
  • juliana1977
    juliana1977 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Well agree with everybody, expect I don't think you are eating to low. I think you should go low on soudium, keep the olives and good fats, spread teh food thrughout the day and ALLWAYS eat breakfast it is very important.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    OK a couple of things.

First, when you log your exercise, are you going by your own heart rate monitor or machine read out? I think MFP's totally are a little over estimated- you have to factor in weight and intensity....When I started, I first got 500+ calories burned from 35 minutes of elliptical- but in reality its only about 350-ish. So you could actually be getting more of a calorie budget than you should.

Other things- try and make sure your meals are in the same ballpark as far as calories go- if I stay in the 300-400 range for each meal, I hit my target dead on.

Make sure you watch your sodium, and your fat/carb/protein ratio. I do a 20/40/40 split, and it works.

KEEP TRYING, tweak what you have to, and don't give up! You can do this!! :)
    Everyone's percentages are different.... 40% protein may not be necessary for many people.
    I eat 45% carbs, 30% protein, and 25% fat. I build muscle very quickly and do not seem to need more protein than I am taking in....
    Anyhow.... Since I know that you don't eat PHO everyday I am not going to say WATCH The sodium ;) Keep it around 2500 and you are fine. Although this could have something to do with you regaining this one time around. Weigh once a week on the day after a really structured day and you won't see so many ups and downs and it won't frustrate you cuz you will have had no idea you were even up and down. I weigh every friday and I don't think about how i was a pound up the day before because- well I didn't know i was ;)
    I think the most important thing is eating on somewhat of a schedule and I agree; even out your calories pretty well. I eat 300-400 at each main meal sometimes more and then 100-250 for each snack. This is especially important if you are working out often. Keep fueling for your recovery. The fresher the better, the shorter the ingredients list, the better! :-D
    You seem to be doing well, just keep it up!!!!! You are going to get this!!!

Maybe for your body's sake. Mix up your workout often, keep it guessing :-D Keep at it, it will come off.