reality check

Options
So yesterday my husband and I joined the gym, today I went to zumba. Ive taken these classes before and really liked them. they didnt have a mirror at the front or the side of the class. this gym is set up so basically anyone walking by can look in at you and not only that, you can see yourself jiggling from every angle. I found myself avoiding any glance at myself, like i didnt exist. I love to dance and where normally this class wouldve been a blast, i felt embarressed and insecure. I felt ENORMOUS, even in comparison to the old ladies shakin it. This was a reality check. I came home and promptly increased my goal to lose more weight and hopefully at the 2 lbs per week rate. I cant stand to be this way anymore and tonight was a horrible reminder of just how bad i have let things go. Guess i just needed to vent....

Replies

• Dette1
    Dette1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is tough, I have had a few of those "ah ha" moments. They feel awful even if you have lost some weight. I have heard great things about Zumba, might have to give that a try. I think it is excellent that you stayed and finished the class, some might have ran out. I find that very motivating :smile:
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Dont get discouraged! You are on the RIGHT track. :)
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    I think the class is great and well worth it, I just want to look cute while doing it! sounds shallow I know, but I am planning on going again tomorrow morning despite all of this heehe! thanks for your support!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    It's going to get better. I've had the same experience...felt like a slob during and after- but when it comes right down to it, that awful feeling cannot be and is not bigger than the drive to press on. You're doing a great thing for yourself...lose the weight at a rate that it will stay off.

And by all means, KEEP DANCING!!!
  • myladyelliott
    Options
    I would bet money that every other person there, in the class or out, was too busy worrying about themselves and how uncomfortable they felt that someone might look at them - that they never even thought about you? I know it's hard when you feel so self conscious, I'm shy by nature. I constantly remind myself that everyone in the workout room is there for the same reason I am, it's amazing how far that little bit of assurance will take you!
  • jaimelynn01
    Options
    this made me smile! thanks!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I admire you for sticking with it!
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I go to the Zumba classes sometimes. When I do go, among the 124 girls there, there's just one hefty 6-foot-tall guy shakin' it with the rest of us. Any other guys would be too embarrassed, let alone the overweight ones, but not this one. Just by showing up to each class, he's saying to the world, "I'm as wide as I am tall, but I'll be having fun at any weight!"

Any time you feel self-conscious, think of the big guy in Zumba. He's like a shining beacon of hope to every self-conscious person out there. :bigsmile: