The Top 5 Calorie-Burning Workouts

Options
Just read this... :bigsmile:

1. Kickboxing: 800 calories per hour
Kickboxing offers a great full-body workout because it requires you to use every major muscle group and includes interval training. Your heart rate will sore and stabilize several times throughout the class, which is optimal for weight loss. 24 Hour Fitness clubs report that attendees of their Turbo Kick classes can burn up to 800 calories in one hour-long class.

2. Biking: 700 calories per hour
You can burn up to 700 calories at your average cycling class or take to the road on your own to enjoy fresh air to boot! Just make sure you keep a pace of about 14 to 16 miles per hour to reach the 700-calorie goal.

3. Zumba: 500 to 1,000 calories per hour
Who knew an hour of dancing could produce such results?! This Latin-inspired dance workout promises to leave you up to 1,000 calories lighter after an hour of hip-swishing and shimmying. No wonder it’s so popular!

4. Jumping Rope: 130 calories per 10 minutes
Only got ten minutes? You can still squeeze in cardio with this highly effective activity. According to MedicineNet.com, you’d have to run an eight-minute mile to burn as many calories as jumping rope for the same amount of time. If you have limited space and time, jumping rope is the most efficient way to see results. In addition, the high-impact nature of this workout means you’ll add muscle mass while you lose fat.

5. Aerobic Step Classes: 600 calories per hour
Aerobic step classes are high-intensity and high-impact, meaning you’ll burn fat and calories. The number of calories burned depends on how high the step is, but using just a six-inch platform can allow you to burn up to 600 calories in one hour-long class.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-top-5-calorie-burning-workouts-2444723/

Replies

• heatypablo
    Options
    Great information, thanks for sharing!
  • MissLadyInWaiting
    Options
    thank god i'm doing Zumba :D
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    That seems high for biking. With entering my age/weight info into the stationary bike I get between 160-200 cal burned for about 25 minutes from the machine readout. That's at about a 6-7 resistance and maintaining a pace of no lower than 15mph and usually averaging about 16mph over the duration of the time. And most folks says that the machines estimate high already, (I don't have money for an HRM yet) so that estimate above seems really high to me.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I think its pretty correct :-) I do RPM (SPIN) and we would burn that in a session easy!
  • JaneZv
    JaneZv Posts: 200
    Options
    thank god i'm doing Zumba :D

Think i'm going to start doing Zumba. :drinker:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    bump
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Love me some Zumba, tho I've yet to burn 1000 in an hour, I often get between 600-700.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    LOVE to see that I'm doing number one already!! And a couple of the others! Kickboxing and Zumba are my favorite workouts!
  • Starrr126
    Starrr126 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I think the biking IS high for most people. it does note though, you need to keep a 14 to 16 MPH pace. Also I think biking at the gym versus outside is like the treadmill vs road debate. Being outside works your body differently so the cals go up. I've measured my biking a few times, I ride around 14 to 15 MPH and I burn appx 40 cals a mile so that's between 560 and 600 for me, and for ME I have to WORK to keep that pace.

Does anyone know if you need an actual rope for the jump rope. I've done classes where we jumped/hopped and moved our arms like we were jumping rope...I don't see how the object changes anything? Might have a new commercial break activity for when I watch TV.