BMI. Crazy?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    Blimey. You sound a useful bloke to know. I exercise now 4-5 times a week, usually a 5k row, 5k on the static bike and about 50 pathetic sit ups. On the basis that that covers arms, legs, and the middle bit. Not very scientific I know. I also power walk and ride my horse occasionally. Does this qualify as being conditioned?? Theres no way at the moment I would jog for 20 mins, the right knee wont take it, hence the low impact stuff.
    If you want a great site on the net for workout support and information use http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/index.htm.

My other half used this extensively (lost 110 lb so far, he's 6' 2", now weighs 11 stone 12lb), increased muscle mass, decreased fat % significantly and increased strength and fitness. He, like I did also used MFP to monitor food intake and nutrition.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    bmi-comparison.jpg

BMI is bogus. Anyone who does any kind of resistance training carries more lean mass then the average person. According to BMI, I'm Obese. I'm 19% body fat according to the test I did Monday at school. Ignore BMI and go by your body composition, measurements, how your clothes fit, etc. Much more accurate.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    bmi-comparison.jpg

BMI is bogus. Anyone who does any kind of resistance training carries more lean mass then the average person. According to BMI, I'm Obese. I'm 19% body fat according to the test I did Monday at school. Ignore BMI and go by your body composition, measurements, how your clothes fit, etc. Much more accurate.
    See shboss's comment above regarding its general validity with respect to the general population
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    bmi-comparison.jpg

Not sure I'd call it bogus. In the context of an individual measurement tool it's not very accurate for sure, but as a macro tool, it's adequate if used correctly.

Ancel Keys, who created BMI, made the following statement of BMI "it being appropriate for population studies, and inappropriate for individual diagnosis"