scar tissue

Options
Good Morning MFP buddies! I have a question....I have had a few surgeries that cause me to have alot of scar tissue in my stomach area. And on top of that had a vertical c section. I have heard that scar tissue will not disappear, idk if it is true???? If it doesnt disappear..will it shrink at least while Im losing weight? Im scared that Im doing all these ab workouts for no reason! Because even after I do 50 crunches I cant really feel any pain . It feels like I didnt do anything at all. Any advice or answers would be great!

Replies

• grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. I also have a large scar on my abs, from a splein surgery, that is about 6.5 inches long. I wonder if I will ever have a 6 pack or should I just give up on that dream. I can feel the muscle, but there is a huge difference in the right and left sides of my abs.

I wonder if there is a doctor in the house.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Scar tissue will never completely go away. Exercise may improve the overall appearance of the area around the scarring, but will really have no effect on the scar itself.
  • LeslieDavies22
    LeslieDavies22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you show it to your doctor and take about your concerns he or she may send you to Physical Therapy. There they can do ultra sound on the tissue to break down some of the scar tissue. I had a raised, tight, bumpy scar and after P.T. it is smooth and flat. They are using ultra sound techniques in plastic surgeons offices too now, it can do a lot to our skin.