HELLO to the new lady - Help needed!

Options
Hi, I have registered on here this week after a recommendation from a work colleague. I have 3 children and lost all the weight after having my last child 14mths ago and was a healthy 10 stone.
However, I came back to work when she was 6mths old and being sat down all day and out of the house all the time, I found that I started picking again and not preparing proper meals

I am now 12st and only 7lbs off what I was when I gave birth!!!!! (now that is a depressing thought).

I love the way that you track all your food and I'm even being honest so that I can see where I may have been going wrong all these months. It has encouraged me to cut the snacking out and I am actually looking forward to (hopefully) losing weight.

I do need some help though with some healthy, low calorie but filling slow cooker recipes as I love my slow cooker and would not eat at all properly without it.

Any help, advice or recipes would be fab.

Thank you :-)

Replies

• searl731
    Options
    Good Luck on your weight lose to come here is one of my healthy Slow Cooker Meals and the whole family loves it. I have three picky little Girls and they never complain on this.

Slow Cooker Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew

Ingredients

* 6 bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed, trimmed of fat
    * 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into spears
    * 1/2 pound white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
    * 6 large shallots, peeled and halved
    * 4 cloves garlic, peeled
    * 1 cup dry white wine
    * 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar

Preparation

1. Place chicken, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, shallots, garlic, wine, rosemary, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker; stir to combine. Put the lid on and cook on low until the potatoes are tender, about 5 hours. Before serving, remove bones from the chicken, if desired, and stir in vinegar.

Tips & Notes

* Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.

Nutrition

Per serving: 285 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 17 g protein; 5 g fiber; 519 mg sodium; 866 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (430% daily value), Potassium (25% dv), Fiber (20% dv).

2 Carbohydrate Serving

Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat
  • cfrost311
    Options
    Best of luck with your weight loss! Here is a recipe for Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream Sauce (doesn't sound like it would be healthy but it's only 275 calories per serving) You can also check out this website http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/recipe_slideshows/low_calorie_slow_cooker_recipes?slide=1#leaderboardad to get a ton of other low calorie recipes.

Ingredients

* 2 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and tenders removed (see Tip)
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    * 1/4 teaspoon salt
    * 1 tablespoon canola oil
    * 1 medium shallot, minced
    * 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushroom caps
    * 2 tablespoons dry vermouth, or dry white wine
    * 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    * 2 tablespoons heavy cream
    * 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives, or scallion greens

Preparation

1. Season chicken with pepper and salt on both sides.
    2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning once or twice and adjusting the heat to prevent burning, until brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
    3. Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 2 minutes. Pour in vermouth (or wine); simmer until almost evaporated, scraping up any browned bits, about 1 minute. Pour in broth and cook until reduced by half, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cream and chives (or scallions); return to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan, turn to coat with sauce and cook until heated through, about 1 minute.

Tips & Notes

* Tip: It's difficult to find an individual chicken breast small enough for one portion. Removing the thin strip of meat from the underside of a 5-ounce breast—the “tender”—removes about 1 ounce of meat and yields a perfect 4-ounce portion. Wrap and freeze the tenders and when you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry or for oven-baked chicken fingers.

Nutrition

Per serving: 275 calories; 15 g fat (5 g sat, 7 g mono); 84 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 373 mg sodium; 370 mg potassium.

Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (34% daily value).
  • e3slisa
    e3slisa Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi and welcome :) have sent you a freind request, its a great site and the support and encouragement is great. Good luck :wink:
  • nicola6888
    nicola6888 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the Slow cooker recipe. I'll try this as one of our meals this week. Thanks again :-)