Different shapes

Options
My co-worker and I really hit the new lifestyle trail hard in January this year. She is a total pear body and I am the apple. We make a nice fruit salad, but anyway......

She follows the South Beach plan, lifts massive amounts of weights and walks with me every night after work. I follow a bit more flexible guideline on carbs, but for the most part it is similar to South Beach too. I don't do much weight lifting because I don't belong to a gym, but I do power walk 6 days a week.

Interesting results to date......she has lost less weight but more inches. I have lost more weight and less inches. Could it be body shape? Is it because she is lifting more weights? We started out weighing about the same, but very very different body shapes. :huh:

Just something to chew on....keep it low cal. :smile:

~Kell

Replies

• kellbell
    kellbell Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My co-worker and I really hit the new lifestyle trail hard in January this year. She is a total pear body and I am the apple. We make a nice fruit salad, but anyway......

She follows the South Beach plan, lifts massive amounts of weights and walks with me every night after work. I follow a bit more flexible guideline on carbs, but for the most part it is similar to South Beach too. I don't do much weight lifting because I don't belong to a gym, but I do power walk 6 days a week.

Interesting results to date......she has lost less weight but more inches. I have lost more weight and less inches. Could it be body shape? Is it because she is lifting more weights? We started out weighing about the same, but very very different body shapes. :huh:

Just something to chew on....keep it low cal. :smile:

~Kell
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    There are a ton of factors that effect how we lose body fat. Genetics, training, diet.... Losing weight doesn't equate to losing body fat, though, and lifting doesn't equate to gaining muscle size. I personally prefer losing inches to weight, because my weight fluctuates greatly, and my inches generally dictate whether I'm losing body fat. I lift a lot, so my glycogen levels shift, causing gains and losses on the scale that aren't indicative of fat loss. But if you don't manipulate muscular glycogen and water levels that much, your scale wait will more closely represent your fat loss.
  • tiliquinones
    Options
    I personally don't think it's the body shape, I think it's due to the weight lifting. I'm an apple shape myself and about five years (when i started eating right and working out at the gym and had a trainer) I lost 45 lbs, fast! This time around it has taken me forever just to loose 20. I live in the middle of no where right now and I don't have access to the gym so most of my exercise has been cardio only and maybe a little bit of strength training but nothing compared to before. This time around I feel that even though I'm 5 lbs away from what I weirghed before I still feel much bigger and I believe it's due to not building much muscle!

Muscle doesn't way more than fat. 1lb of muscle weighs the same as 1lb of fat. The fact is muscle is leaner than fat.

I've decided to add more strength training because I want to be smaller I don't care if don't lose lbs anymore I just wan't a lean strong body :smile: