Whole Foods, has sold out to Monsanto

Options

Replies

• janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    For the Trader Joe lover's out there, TJ's policies are even MORE lax than WF's just google it. They're owned by a shady German company. FWIW - my family knew the original TJ's and would shop there when it was owned by them in the Los Angeles area. I don't shop at TJ's because their produce is just so much LESS than desirable and the plastic wrapping is horrible. Plus they don't have the standards of WF.

Maybe people on this forum that care should shop at their local health food/community stores instead.....if you have them.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    For the Trader Joe lover's out there, TJ's policies are even MORE lax than WF's just google it. They're owned by a shady German company. FWIW - my family knew the original TJ's and would shop there when it was owned by them in the Los Angeles area. I don't shop at TJ's because their produce is just so much LESS than desirable and the plastic wrapping is horrible. Plus they don't have the standards of WF.

Maybe people on this forum that care should shop at their local health food/community stores instead.....if you have them.

I completely agree. I can NEVER find adequate produce at TJ's and since that's the majority of what I buy for groceries I never even bother shopping there.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Monsanto is one of the biggest problems this country has and you rarely ever hear about it. No good. I've never been a huge Whole Foods fan. They are seriously overpriced to begin with. I do adore their bread though.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm not defending Whole Foods for how they cornered the market on health food, but here is a link to the Whole Foods blog regarding the situation.

http://blog.wholefoodsmarket.com/2011/01/urgent-action-needed-to-support-organics-and-non-ge-crops/

I think to characterize the situation as "surrendering to Monsanto" was done intentionally to incite anger. While WF tries to promote fresh and organic foods, it doesn't sound like they ever promised to sell only foods that had no genetically engineered ingredients. Whether or not they misled the public into thinking so is another story. Check out their mission statement at

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/quality-standards.php

It's becoming more and more clear to my husband and I that we need to do as much as we can to support local farmers.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    agreed, Monsanto is the problem....if the people/institutions they bully can't always stand up to them successfully it doesn't mean those people or institutions are "bad" per se.
  • jknops2
    jknops2 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Well I have to disagree with this hysteria about GMO crops. Roundup ready alfalfa will increase Roundup use which is one of the more benign herbicides out there. This will increase production and decrease overall herbicide use, which is good for all of this.

And, no using no herbicides does not work. Organic crops have lower productivity and require lots of tillage, which leads to increased soil erosion. This increase soil erosion is not sustainable and is largely ignored by the organic community. And lower production leads to higher food prices and large land areas required for food production. There are more than 6 billion people now with predicted increased to 12 billion in the next 50-100 years. GMO has the potential to increase food production on a smaller footprint and will be increasingly important this century.

People should realize that almost of the insulin these days is produced by GMO modified bacteria, with great benefit and lower cost. It is time to stop rejecting all GMO and look at a better evaluation of the potential and risk of GMO, without rejecting them out of hand.

My opinion.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options

Could you please link to your sources? I know that TJ's is owned by "a shady German company", but I can't find anything to back up your claims about their policies/standards. I do know that none of their brand products have GMOs, which is what brings me there again and again.
  • janesmith1
    Options

Could you please link to your sources? I know that TJ's is owned by "a shady German company", but I can't find anything to back up your claims about their policies/standards. I do know that none of their brand products have GMOs, which is what brings me there again and again.

Did you google? There are 3,300,000 articles out there at this moment on google about it. Take your pick! And that's from me googling it right now!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well I have to disagree with this hysteria about GMO crops. Roundup ready alfalfa will increase Roundup use which is one of the more benign herbicides out there. This will increase production and decrease overall herbicide use, which is good for all of this.
    The increased use of Roundup will be more likely to cause weeds to grow which are resistant to it.
    And, no using no herbicides does not work. Organic crops have lower productivity and require lots of tillage, which leads to increased soil erosion. This increase soil erosion is not sustainable and is largely ignored by the organic community. And lower production leads to higher food prices and large land areas required for food production [ ... ] GMO has the potential to increase food production on a smaller footprint and will be increasingly important this century.
    This is unfortunately true. I'm totally against GMOs, but I don't know how anyone would afford to eat if we didn't have them. Of course, "we" eat more than we should, so, theoretically, it would cause people to regulate what they ate. But more out of dire necessity than health ...

Further, of course the use of language ("surrendering to Monsanto") is meant to incite anger. They want to bring attention to something that is of growing concern; hyperbole is a common tactic.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

And, no using no herbicides does not work. Organic crops have lower productivity and require lots of tillage, which leads to increased soil erosion. This increase soil erosion is not sustainable and is largely ignored by the organic community. And lower production leads to higher food prices and large land areas required for food production. There are more than 6 billion people now with predicted increased to 12 billion in the next 50-100 years. GMO has the potential to increase food production on a smaller footprint and will be increasingly important this century.

People should realize that almost of the insulin these days is produced by GMO modified bacteria, with great benefit and lower cost. It is time to stop rejecting all GMO and look at a better evaluation of the potential and risk of GMO, without rejecting them out of hand.

My opinion.

Well my opinion on this is............

If people were to go back to purchasing their food from local and sustainable resources and not the large corporate conglomerates we wouldn't need all the insulin because the Diabetes epidemic would go away.

Maybe you don't mind eating genetically modified foods or cloned animals, but this is against the rules and laws of nature and I want NO part of it.
  • janesmith1
    Options
    Further, they're owned by Aldi in Germany. And I've shopped at Aldi's in Germany......lol. No wonder their produce is crap at TJ's!
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Did you google? There are 3,300,000 articles out there at this moment on google about it. Take your pick! And that's from me googling it right now!

Please provide a link to one that you feel sums up what you've said.
  • janesmith1
    Options
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Further, they're owned by Aldi in Germany. And I've shopped at Aldi's in Germany......lol. No wonder their produce is crap at TJ's!

I can find no evidence that Aldi and TJ's are owned by the same company.

And both of the TJ's I have shopped at has wonderful produce. I have never had a complaint.
  • kellyclauss
    Options
    what a bummer !
  • janesmith1
    Options

I can find no evidence that Aldi and TJ's are owned by the same company.

And both of the TJ's I have shopped at has wonderful produce. I have never had a complaint.

The NYT doll

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/19/do-you-know-who-owns-trader-joes/
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

My opinion.

If people were to go back to purchasing their food from local and sustainable resources and not the large corporate conglomerates we wouldn't need all the insulin because the Diabetes epidemic would go away.

Maybe you don't mind eating genetically modified foods or cloned animals, but this is against the rules and laws of nature and I want NO part of it.

so when you live in a large, urban, extremely poor city, where are these local and sustainable resources found? are they going to take food stamps? are they going to set up shops that people can walk to or take public transportation to? are they going to keep prices affordable?

i'm just curious as to your responses. would i love to be eating free range, grass fed chicken/beef? of course. i do my very best to eat seasonal veggies/shop at the farmer's market, but i live in a large poor urban area where this type of food is essentially not available unless you have a car and a lot of money to spend on food. while we do have community gardens, they are few and far between. i'm all for non GMO products and sustainable agriculture, but in some places, it's just not there. can you think of solutions to this?
  • janesmith1
    Options
    And according to the NYT & WSJ, Aldi's is the WALMART of Germany, as I can certainly attest to since I shopped there in Germany.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Aldi's scares me.
  • janesmith1
    Options

My opinion.

so when you live in a large, urban, extremely poor city, where are these local and sustainable resources found? are they going to take food stamps? are they going to set up shops that people can walk to or take public transportation to? are they going to keep prices affordable?

i'm just curious as to your responses. would i love to be eating free range, grass fed chicken/beef? of course. i do my very best to eat seasonal veggies/shop at the farmer's market, but i live in a large poor urban area where this type of food is essentially not available unless you have a car and a lot of money to spend on food. while we do have community gardens, they are few and far between. i'm all for non GMO products and sustainable agriculture, but in some places, it's just not there. can you think of solutions to this?

If you're interesting there's a USDA listing of Farmer's Markets

http://apps.ams.usda.gov/FarmersMarkets/