Veggies...

Options
2»

Replies

• melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I love veggies but I grew up eating them out of a can too so had to learn to cook them and have had to learn more how to fit them in the day since starting to eat healthier.

An easy way to fit lots of veggies in at breakfast is to do an omelet or scramble -- I usually do an egg, 2 egg whites and then add in random veggies like mushrooms, peppers, onions, spinach or tomatoes. Throw in a little sour cream or cheese and you have a good low-calorie breakfast with some veggie servings in it.

Have you ever tried mashed potatoes with cauliflower in them? I can do up to half cauliflower (I just buy frozen and throw in with the potatoes the last few minutes of cooking) and not really tell a difference. Vegetable soup is a good way to get in veggies and you can just buy frozen vegetable soup mix. I also cook frozen green beans for a LONG time and they get soft. I cook them in a little chicken broth instead of water for more flavor.

Also have to share one of my favorite new veggie recipes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Roasted-Carrots/Detail.aspx

Roasting is an easy way to do vegetables too, especially in the winter. Carrots, potatoes, parsnips, onions, sweet potatoes all roast well.

Have you ever tried butternut squash? LOVE butternut squash soup in the fall/winter!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would start to try some fresh veggies. You can buy spaghetti squash and skip the pasta overload. Just add some sauce to the spagh squash, and maybe melt a laughing cow cheese in it too! We have this at least once a week.

Zucchini ----peel it to the seeds, bout 2 or 3 of them, put in fry pan, 1/4 cup of broth, 2 wedges of laughing cow cheese, spices, some tomatoes. Steam, stir, steam, stir, until the cheese melts! You have alfredo!

turnip fries - buy turnips and dont peel them, just slice them to resemble fries and cook for 30 mins. Spray top and bottom with pam and season first.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I always have nothing but fresh veggies. The best way to steam, at least for me, is to buy a steaming basket at the grocery store, usually about $5. Then just boil water, throw in your fav veggies and let them steam away. Usually green beans or other veggies in need of a longer cook I boil. I usually eat them plain like this, its my favorite way, but for flavor you could give them a splash of lemon juice.

Also, make a good ol' saute with your favorites. I never liked zucchini, squash, onions, peppers or mushrooms (def. not mushrooms) but now they're one of my favorite sides to cook up. Just use a little olive oil and cook them to your liking. You can add Mrs. Dash or chili peppers for flavor to make it a more appetizing dish. I use to hate it when my mother made it for us, now I can't get enough