Did you notice a difference after removing Mirena?

2»

Replies

• tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Eeek, this thread is making me want to go get this checked out. I have gained 30 #'s since my daughter was born and I got the Mirena. :explode:

I didn't even consider that as an issue. The sex drive has taken a nose dive too. Hmmmm. :noway:
  • tashjs21
    I loved the Mirena, at first! It completely stopped my periods, I lost 7 lbs in the first month I was on it & it didn't affect my mood/emotional well being at all.
    Until I got pregnant 18 months into my five years :huh:
    Everybody is different but whatever you use, just remember birth controls are like people, nothing/nobody is perfect.
    OMG, you are the first person I have heard that got pregnant! what happened?
    I got Mirena 4.5 years ago. I felt a little crazy/hormonal at first but I think it was because I was actually coming off the depo. Mirena has very little hormone and it is in the plastic and acts mainly on the uterus, not getting into the blood stream in any great amounts like Depo. That said, I respect that all women are different and it might effect different women very differently! I quit smoking about the same time and attributed hunger and weight gain to that, so if it was Mirena I don't know.
    I did get ovarian cysts and think Mirena had something to do with it.
    Oh, and I found it was horribly painful to have inserted. I haven't had children. Not sure I want any and I am getting old now, so I don't know whether to replace it in August or what.
    Was it horrible to have it removed?

I have a friend that is pregnant and she was using the Mirena. Talk about scary!!!
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    I found that the insertion was somewhat painful, but taken it out was a lot less painful. Just enough to say, "UGHH" and that was it.
    I loved the Mirena, at first! It completely stopped my periods, I lost 7 lbs in the first month I was on it & it didn't affect my mood/emotional well being at all.
    Everybody is different but whatever you use, just remember birth controls are like people, nothing/nobody is perfect.
    I got Mirena 4.5 years ago. I felt a little crazy/hormonal at first but I think it was because I was actually coming off the depo. Mirena has very little hormone and it is in the plastic and acts mainly on the uterus, not getting into the blood stream in any great amounts like Depo. That said, I respect that all women are different and it might effect different women very differently! I quit smoking about the same time and attributed hunger and weight gain to that, so if it was Mirena I don't know.
    Oh, and I found it was horribly painful to have inserted. I haven't had children. Not sure I want any and I am getting old now, so I don't know whether to replace it in August or what.
  • tater8589
    tater8589 Posts: 616
    Out of curiosity what birthcontrol (any form) would ya'll suggest? Im allergic to condoms.(lamb smells awefull and kills the mood, won't use it) and adhesive throwing out the patch. I am currently on the ring, which worked in the past, but i'm now having a few issues and may need a change. YAZ is out, I had a miscarrage with it in 09 (didn't know I was preg till i miscarried a month into it) and Lisserna made me sick. I can't do DEPO either, i reacted badly to it.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    I found that the insertion was somewhat painful, but taken it out was a lot less painful. Just enough to say, "UGHH" and that was it.
    It couldn't be removed without compromising the pregnancy so they left it in until I miscarried and then it was removed during my D&C so I was completely out & don't remember the removal. The miscarriage is NOT at all attributed to the Mirena's presence, I had lots of fertility problems and this was my 6th miscarriage.

Tater8589- Have you looked into Norplant? I have a friend that got it after her last baby and loves it, I don't know much about it but it could be an option worth exploring for you.
  • tater8589

Tater8589- Have you looked into Norplant? I have a friend that got it after her last baby and loves it, I don't know much about it but it could be an option worth exploring for you.

I haven't head of it, but I'll look into it. Thank you.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member

Agreed. I have lost ALL of my weight with Mirena in.

Everyone is different, but since the hormone dosage isn't like that of other birth control, I feel that some side effects previous posters mentioned could possibly post-partum oriented? I don't see how someone can gain weight without the food intake increasing, that would be the root of the problem. Otherwise, I'd check with your DR.
  • tashjs21

Agreed. I have lost ALL of my weight with Mirena in.

Everyone is different, but since the hormone dosage isn't like that of other birth control, I feel that some side effects previous posters mentioned could possibly post-partum oriented? I don't see how someone can gain weight without the food intake increasing, that would be the root of the problem. Otherwise, I'd check with your DR.

My food intake has decreased and I am still gaining. I go to get my thyroid checked in Feb, though. The lack of sex drive is also attributed to thyroid issues. I
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Out of curiosity what birthcontrol (any form) would ya'll suggest? Im allergic to condoms.(lamb smells awefull and kills the mood, won't use it) and adhesive throwing out the patch. I am currently on the ring, which worked in the past, but i'm now having a few issues and may need a change. YAZ is out, I had a miscarrage with it in 09 (didn't know I was preg till i miscarried a month into it) and Lisserna made me sick. I can't do DEPO either, i reacted badly to it.
    Tell me about the pros and cons of the Ring, please.
    Also, how did you realize you were pregnant on YAZ-I would think a miscarriage at a month would be like a period. I don't know, I have heard that many pregnancies end in the first month if things aren't progressing right but most of us don't realize.
    Other options? Well, there is the copper IUD, it has no hormones. but I had a friend swap hers for the Mirena because she had heavy periods and cramps with the copper IUD.
    also, there is the diaphragm. I have never used one, and not sure what they are made of...
    I have also been thinking about the rythm method. There are only 3 days each month that we can get pregnant possibly so if we could just know when those days were. someone recommended the book-taking charge of your fertility. I might look into it.
  • tater8589
    With the ring Pros- only have to mess with it once a month
    Cons- has to be kept refrigerated till ready to use-- its cold lol
    - I have been having hot flashes as one of the side effects
    - you and your partner shouldn't be able to feel it, sometimes you still can (bit of humor, I have asked my husband if I won the prize when I got the ring on the.. well you know..)
    - If you take it out for "fun time" you must put it back in within 4 hours or its bad
    - Sometimes our bodies can push it out, at inopportune times, and its awkward feeling and annoying
    - also for me, my TOM issues that used to be fixed by birthcontrol are becoming worse again.

While on the YAZ (I don't blame the YAZ, but I had other issues while on it) I got pregnant at end of Sept 09 (i keep track on my calendar) and felt preg + had multiple symtoms through most of Oct. I tested at home and kept getting negatives and continued my use of YAZ. I thought the Yaz was making me sick and saw my dr. By beginning of Nov things took a major turn and I became extreemly sick, my period was HORRIBLE and nasty, and I took a blood preg test which by that time was neg. All symptoms were of miscariage.Having seen one of my friends go through 4 and talking with her, who is registered nurse, I put the clues together. Dec I stopped using YAZ and was put on Lisserna, May I was changed to the ring.

I feel like I never reached the point where I had enough hormone to test positive before it happened. I personally want to stop birhtcontrol, but my husband isn't ready for kids and freeks out when I mention it.
  • TayJoMama
    TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
    Wow tater, that sounds like a lot going on with the ring. The Norplant might be a good option.

Thanks guys for the option, I feel good about my decision to get rid of Mirena!
This discussion has been closed.