Skiiers, derby skaters....?

Options
Not exactly similar sports, but would anyone like to start a group? There are a lot of groups w/ weight loss goals, and while I'd like to loose some weight I'm more interested in just being as active as possible.

Just need motivation getting toderby practice all the time; info on getting leaner legs w/o loosing strength; found an awesome site for skiing workouts....etc.

Replies

• KrushGroove103
    KrushGroove103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yeah! A derby group would be great! I have a couple of team mates on here as well.

Where do you skate?
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I agree that a derby group would be fantastic!!
  • Arester
    Arester Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Oh yay! I'm learning how to skate so that I can join the local derby team. I will need all the advice I can get!
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    I don't ski, but I'm all for a derby group!
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    Yeah! A derby group would be great! I have a couple of team mates on here as well.

Where do you skate?

I skate w/ RMRG in Denver. If you are wanting to join this group, post the league you skate with too. Freind request each other too. Derby love!

Uh, I also don't know who to start a group - is that an option on here?
  • moshie
    moshie Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Burning River would be down for a Derby Group. There's about a half dozen of us on here now.
  • KrushGroove103
    KrushGroove103 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    IDK how to start a group on here!

I skate with the Southern Illinois Roller Girls. I'm the head of the training committee and the interleague coordinator. So if any of you want to talk derby training/drills or if you want to play us this season, let me know!
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    I am also on the Southern Illinois Roller Girls with Krush and I help train the new girls. :)
    Derby is a killer workout and does amazing things for your (this is the official derby term) Booty.
    Best of luck for future derby girls!
    X<3 Dread Pirate Robyn

ETA: From what I can tell, the way to start/join a group is to post to the thread. Then if you want to comment to that group, you go to My Topics and those are threads you have joined. :)
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I skated with LBRD when we were just forming but then had to move outta long beach. I tried out for PPDD here in the Co springs and got chosen but then i broke my ankle!
  • tonyaluz
    Options
    I don't do derby currently but I have and I live for skating!!! Count me in.
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    Hey ladies. Just wanted to share this site. It's for skiers, but I think it would help w/ derby as well.

fitskiing.com
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I have some friends that are involved with RMRG! I'd love to try and join but my ankles are teh suck after years and years of abuse...I don't think I could skate with speed and power any more. :cry: Anyway, I was just being nosy...carry on! :laugh:
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    I have some friends that are involved with RMRG! I'd love to try and join but my ankles are teh suck after years and years of abuse...I don't think I could skate with speed and power any more. :cry: Anyway, I was just being nosy...carry on! :laugh:

You should go to Derby Days - they'll teach you how to skate and you can see how your ankles hold up. So much fun. Or you could skate with the rebels - rec. league.
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options

You should go to Derby Days - they'll teach you how to skate and you can see how your ankles hold up. So much fun. Or you could skate with the rebels - rec. league.

Thanks for the info!! I'll definitely look into it!
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    How was everyone's weekend? Do any skating?

I had to go for a jog after scrimmage yesterday since there were so many people - I think I only got 20 minutes of skating at a two hour scrimmage. Boo.
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    I skated with LBRD when we were just forming but then had to move outta long beach. I tried out for PPDD here in the Co springs and got chosen but then i broke my ankle!

Sorry to hear that!!!
  • LizardIsANerd
    Options
    How was everyone's weekend? Do any skating?

I had to go for a jog after scrimmage yesterday since there were so many people - I think I only got 20 minutes of skating at a two hour scrimmage. Boo.
    SIRG has 45 skaters now, so I imagine there will be a significant amount of turn taking in the near future.
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm all for a derby gorup. I skate with MVM in WI, it has changed my life!
  • str8jakit13
    str8jakit13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't do derby anymore due to some shoulder injuries but I'm still a non-skating member of my league. I still skate when the weather is nice. It's such a good workout and it doesn't feel like work when it's something you truly love doing!
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't do derby anymore due to some shoulder injuries but I'm still a non-skating member of my league. I still skate when the weather is nice. It's such a good workout and it doesn't feel like work when it's something you truly love doing!

Yay DERBY! A group dedicated to this would be awesome. I'd LOVE to learn how to ski but haven't really tried it yet.