exercise and eating...scared about overeating

Options
I did a lot yesterday, and today was so hungry. It's times like this that I tend to fall off, because I get tired. But I don't want to fall off. I'm still tracking calories and my exercise. So the more we exercise the more we need to fuel our bodies? Basically listening to our bodies, right? I'm a bit nervous about overeating.

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    YES! You should be eating back AT LEAST half of your exercise calories.

FOOD IS NOT THE ENEMY! (yes, the caps are on purpose) When you start fearing food or calories, you're starting on a slippery, slippery slope that could (not will, but definitely could) lead to an eating disorder.

Food is fuel. Your body needs it, and you need to replenish what you are burning through exercise!

Example: Let's say you're allowed 1200 calories as a base. That is what you should eat on a day with no exercise. Now let's say you burn 600 calories doing some kind of exercise, but you choose not to eat your calories back because you're "afraid of overeating". You have just condemned your body to subsist on 600 calories for that day. No wonder you're ravenous the next day.

EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!

FOOD IS FUEL! NOT THE ENEMY!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yes- log your exercise and eat close to the goal MFP gives you (it is still factoring a deficit for you).

On your home page there is that Daily Summary box with the big "CALORIES REMAINING" number. Over to the right is your NET number- this should be a MINIMUM of 1200 calories. So your "range" for the day is that NET number 1200 to right up to your calorie goal.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I kind of plan a snack of protein for after working out. So say I work out and burn 475 cals, I eat about half back and make sure it's protein based. cheese, protein shake if it was very vigorous, turkey bacon, cottage cheese with a 1/2 cup frozen berries, etc.

I have that fear of overeating too so it's why I plan. Sometimes I also check out how many calories I will burn doing something for x amount of times so I know what to eat
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in and agree with everyone. You have to eat food to lose weight. Until I did MFP I would have told you that was crazy, but it's completely true, and you can learn to love it. Food is your partner in this journey not your advisory.

I hope you find a way that works for you and good luck with your journey.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to listen to your body about what being hungry. It's another thing to listen to what your body is actually hungry for.

If you're starting to get cravings for say a cheeseburger for example, your body may be asking for protein. You could then make the healthy decision to eat some chicken breast, and maybe put it on a salad and side vegetables included of your choice with light dressing, and maybe sprinkle on a little shredded Parmesan or something of that nature.

The body will naturally ask for extra energy to provide for you as you work out. Overeating doesn't mean you should eat pure indulgence foods. Low calorie foods like veggies and such can be eaten in abundance which will fill you up and keep you fuller longer. So it's totally ok to eat more to allow for more calorie intake into your food tracking. Just make sure it's with the healthier alternatives and your body will be properly fueled for optimal output for your next workout.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    It's one thing to listen to your body about what being hungry. It's another thing to listen to what your body is actually hungry for.

If you're starting to get cravings for say a cheeseburger for example, your body may be asking for protein. You could then make the healthy decision to eat some chicken breast, and maybe put it on a salad and side vegetables included of your choice with light dressing, and maybe sprinkle on a little shredded Parmesan or something of that nature.

The body will naturally ask for extra energy to provide for you as you work out. Overeating doesn't mean you should eat pure indulgence foods. Low calorie foods like veggies and such can be eaten in abundance which will fill you up and keep you fuller longer. So it's totally ok to eat more to allow for more calorie intake into your food tracking. Just make sure it's with the healthier alternatives and your body will be properly fueled for optimal output for your next workout.

Bingo!
  • Beth720
    Options

Bingo!

Of course. BUT there are times when a cheeseburger is ok. Looking at any food you're not allergic to as "bad" or "dangerous" is never a good thing.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options

Bingo!

Of course. BUT there are times when a cheeseburger is ok. Looking at any food you're not allergic to as "bad" or "dangerous" is never a good thing.

Definitely - that mindset gives food power over you, when it is YOU that controls the food and your reactions to it.
  • hahahollylol
    hahahollylol Posts: 160 Member
    Options

FOOD IS NOT THE ENEMY! (yes, the caps are on purpose) When you start fearing food or calories, you're starting on a slippery, slippery slope that could (not will, but definitely could) lead to an eating disorder.

Food is fuel. Your body needs it, and you need to replenish what you are burning through exercise!

Example: Let's say you're allowed 1200 calories as a base. That is what you should eat on a day with no exercise. Now let's say you burn 600 calories doing some kind of exercise, but you choose not to eat your calories back because you're "afraid of overeating". You have just condemned your body to subsist on 600 calories for that day. No wonder you're ravenous the next day.

thanks! I'm afraid that what if I'm not tracking my exercise correctly. but wouldn't you say it's likely pretty accurate? like I've been doing Hip Hop Abs and entering it as circuit training. I'm not sure if it really is in the circuit training category.
  • hahahollylol
    Options
    I kind of plan a snack of protein for after working out. So say I work out and burn 475 cals, I eat about half back and make sure it's protein based. cheese, protein shake if it was very vigorous, turkey bacon, cottage cheese with a 1/2 cup frozen berries, etc.

I have that fear of overeating too so it's why I plan. Sometimes I also check out how many calories I will burn doing something for x amount of times so I know what to eat

thanks! should I get a protein shake powder?
  • Beth720
    Options

thanks! I'm afraid that what if I'm not tracking my exercise correctly. but wouldn't you say it's likely pretty accurate? like I've been doing Hip Hop Abs and entering it as circuit training. I'm not sure if it really is in the circuit training category.

The best way is to get a heart rate monitor. It won't be exact, but it will be closer to accurate than a guesstimate based on others of your size and what they've burned. Then you can enter it as the dvd (or class) and the time and calories.

Regarding post-workout, chocolate milk is another great option. Studies have been and are being done on it and how it affects recovery (very positive). Cheaper than buying a bunch of protein powder! :D
  • hahahollylol
    Options

The best way is to get a heart rate monitor. It won't be exact, but it will be closer to accurate than a guesstimate based on others of your size and what they've burned. Then you can enter it as the dvd (or class) and the time and calories.

Regarding post-workout, chocolate milk is another great option. Studies have been and are being done on it and how it affects recovery (very positive). Cheaper than buying a bunch of protein powder! :D

thanks!