5k questions for all the runners out there...

Options
Okay, long time message board stalker second time poster.
I'm getting ready to run my first 5k in the beginning of March. I can already run the 3.1 miles without stopping or walking in about 36 to 37 minutes. My questions are......How do I improve my time by March (so the chunky girl doesn't get laughed at for trying to run). Also, how often and how far should I be running everyday to keep the pace that I have now.
Thank you in advance for your help, I need all I can get :)

Replies

• BrandonMB
    BrandonMB Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Here is a great site that has some excellent training plans : http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/146.shtml

Normally I would suggest sticking to one of those programs is a great way to get your time down or to finish sronger, but since you only have about four weeks to go, you don't have time for the full program. So, welcome to your new best friend, or worst enemy, The Fartlek! Don't let the name fool you, this bugger can kill. Essentially doing a fartlek workout means that in your regular run, since you are already going the whole way non-stop, at least once a week do one minute of hard *kitten* running, not a long leisurely jog, push yourself for one minute, then slow down and do a slow jog for two minutes, then push back up for another minute, and so on throughout your workout. You will find that the hard runs hurt less and less over time. Once you are comfortable with one minute, move it up to 30 seconds.

The other thing I can strongly suggest is to make sure that you have some hills in your route. One common mistake amoung new runners is that they do a route which is all flat, then they show up on race day to find a hill with a name like "Dream Killer" halfway through their course.

The best suggestion I would make is that with four weeks to go, don't kill yourself to make major improvements now, just congratulate yourself on having gotten to this point, and congrats on your first 5k. Let us all know how it goes!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Check out these tips:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/133121-running-heavy-tips?hl=running+heavy#posts-1808276

You can work on interval speed training now that you have distance down.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! I cried after I ran my first 5k...it was so rewarding. And no worries- there are people from all ages and all sizes there and no one would dream of laughing at you. Looks likey you were provided a good link to a site that I might even check out myself - just wanted to say congrats and you will do just fine!! :) You will also see that you will probably pick up your speed during your race from adrenaline.
  • Dave59
    Dave59 Posts: 28
    Options
    Runners are a great group so you won't have to worry about people laughing. If you have time to spend at another internet forum, I would highly recommend a runners forum. There are good people at RunnersWorld.com. I particularly like the RunningAhead forums. Since I'm getting old, I am in the Masters group over there. I would recommend you check out the people doing their first 5k's at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/C25K/forum.

Right now, just running at whatever your comfortable pace is is your best bet right now. After you get a couple 5k's under your belt you can start thinking about different kinds of running that helps you get faster. Like running 2-minute segments at a faster pace during your run. But doing too much now will just risk getting unneeded aches and pains.
  • Dave59
    Dave59 Posts: 28
    Options
    Runners are a great group so you won't have to worry about people laughing. If you have time to spend at another internet forum, I would highly recommend a runners forum. There are good people at RunnersWorld.com. I particularly like the RunningAhead forums. Since I'm getting old, I am in the Masters group over there. I would recommend you check out the people doing their first 5k's at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/C25K/forum.

Right now, just running at whatever your comfortable pace is is your best bet right now. After you get a couple 5k's under your belt you can start thinking about different kinds of running that helps you get faster. Like running 2-minute segments at a faster pace during your run. But doing too much now will just risk getting unneeded aches and pains.
  • SkiChica
    SkiChica Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replys and the website links, I'm going to check them out today.
    I just hope I can get through this, I'm really nervous! I just know I'm going to cry when I step over that finish line.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options

well said!!! Runners are very encourging. My first 5K was March 2010 and i ran it in 40 min. Your time will improve over time, I have since ran 3 more 5k's and my time went from 40 to 32 in about 6 months. And now....I have my first half marathon in 23 days (oh man...that is coming up fast!!). But everyone else that is running, doesn't care about your time, they are more concerned about their own times, like beating their last 5k time, or even just trying to complete the race. I guarantee you others will not care what time you finish in, just as long as you cross that finish line. Lots of luck to you, running is addictive.
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Runners are a great group so you won't have to worry about people laughing. If you have time to spend at another internet forum, I would highly recommend a runners forum. There are good people at RunnersWorld.com. I particularly like the RunningAhead forums. Since I'm getting old, I am in the Masters group over there.

My friend Eric (We run on the same running team! ) is the one who owns "RunningAhead"
    I use it for keeping track of all my runs. I definately recommend it!

and to the original poster... No one will laugh at you at all. Runners ARE so supportive of each other! =)