Wheat, Grains, Oats?? HELP!

Options
I am going to be trying to avoid wheat for a little while and am trying to figure out what is the difference in Wheat and Oats and Grains?

Does anyone know much about this??

THANKS SO MUCH!

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    wheat and oats are both whole grains in their natural forms.

They are different types of grains is all. I'm not sure what else you're asking. Or was that it?
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    YEAH! that was it!

didnt know if they were the SAME food or SIMILAR food.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to avoid gluten or wheat?
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to cut wheat for a while to see if your body is intolerant to it, then you will want to stay away from the Gluten containing grains.

Here is a list of gluten containing grains:

• Barley
    • Bulgar
    • Couscous
    • Dinkle
    • Einkorn
    • Emmer
    • Farina
    • Faro
    • Flour: any made from grains on this list; bread, brown, durum, granary, strong, and whole-meal flour usually indicates flours containing gluten
    • Kamut
    • Malt
    • Matzo
    • Oats and oat bran (unless tested and guaranteed)
    • Orzo
    • Panko
    • Rye
    • Setan
    • Semolina
    • Spelt
    • Triticale
    • Udon
    • Wheat
    • Wheat bran
    • Wheat germ

Here is a list of Gluten Free Grains (aka, the safe list)

Gluten-Free Ingredients/Foods:
    • Amaranth
    • Arrowroot
    • Bean or pea flours
    • Buckwheat
    • Corn
    • Flaxseed
    • Fruit
    • Meat – fresh, not processed
    • Milk, not malted or flavored
    • Millet
    • Montina
    • Nut and seed flours
    • Potato flour, potato starch
    • Quinoa
    • Rice and rice bran
    • Sago
    • Sorghum
    • Soy flour
    • Tapioca
    • Teff
    • Vegetables, not creamed or breaded
    • Wild rice
  • glutenfreemonica
    Options
    Hi - I am wondering what your motivation is to avoid grains for a while? Do you suspect that they are upsetting you somehow? What are your symptoms? I know a little about grains as I have a condition called Coeliac Disease where I have to completely avoid gluten which is found in some grains - I also have a diploma in Nutrition.

Gluten is found primarily in wheat, barley and rye, and their derivatives - gluten is a known allergen, and known to cause/increase inflamation in some people - not just in the gut, but throughout the body. (Oats should also be avoided unless they are specifically gluten free. Oats which are harvested with the same machinery as wheat may be contaminated with gluten. ) If you are allergic to gluten then a trial gluten free diet will soon leave you feeling better. Although you should be careful as gluten is in so so many things - not just the obvious things like bread, pizza, pasta, cake, biscuits etc, but is in many less obvious items like sauces, drinks, spreads etc. So you should check absolutely everything you eat is gluten free if you are going to give this a try. Gluten in itself has no nutritional value - so undertaking a gluten free diet will not leave you with any nutritional deficit. Potatoes, rice, corn etc do not contain gluten.

Gluten of course may not be the culprit - you may just be a bit intolerant to wheat - impossible to say really without knowing more.

Good luck.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    I'm not trying to avoid gluten.

I'm going to do the Blood type diet for a couple of months and see if it does in fact make me feel better to only be eating foods that a B blood type is recommended to have. If it does then I will continue on and probably make it a lifestyle change.

For my blood type this is just an overview of what things i might want to be aware of:

Type B Diet

For Type Bs the biggest factors in weight gain are corn, wheat, buckwheat, lentils, tomatoes, peanuts and sesame seeds. Each of these foods affect the efficiency of your metabolic process, resulting in fatigue, fluid retention, and hypoglycemia - a severe drop in blood sugar after eating a meal. When you eliminate these foods and begin eating a diet that is right for your type, you blood sugar levels should remain normal after meals. Another very common food that Type Bs should avoid is chicken. Chicken contains a Blood Type B agglutinating lectin in its muscle tissue. Although chicken is a lean meat, the issue is the power of an agglutinating lectin attacking your bloodstream and the potential for it to lead to strokes and immune disorders. Dr. D'Adamo suggests that you wean yourself away from chicken and replace them with highly beneficial foods such as goat, lamb, mutton, rabbit and venison. Other foods that encourage weight loss are green vegetables, eggs, beneficial meats, and low fat dairy. When the toxic foods are avoided and replaced with beneficial foods, Blood Type Bs are very successful in controlling their weight.