Workouts appropriate for kids

Options
I have recently started Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and love it! However, I have a younger sister (11 yrs old) who is overweight and wants to start working out with me. Seeing me working out makes her think it is "cool" so I dont want to discourage her, but I also dont feel that Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is appropriate for her. Does anyone have any ideas of work outs that may be kid friendly? Would Zumba for the Wii be okay?

Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks!

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    why isnt it appropriate for her??? my 3 yr old and 6yr old like doing 30day shred with me.....
    how about just plain running around......
  • erin_weh
    Options
    My daughter is 7 and she loves Wii Fit and Dance Dance revolution. We haven't tried Zumba yet but that will probably be our next game purchase. She also does some of the Jillian workouts with me with 1 pound weights.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    my gym marks zumba class a family friendly. I think as long as she have supervision she can do most exercise. obvioulsy no heavy weights! Walking and talking, espically when the weather gets nice would be awesome sister time :)
  • bgdeagle20
    Options
    My daughter is a little older, but working out with Wii Fit or Zumba would work when at home. If you can afford it I've found that having them take karate a couple of nights a week helps with a youngster's fitness. I used to teach and we had a lot of over weight kids and doing the karate classes, 3-4 hours a week, plus well balanced diet kids will shed the weight. Big thing is making sure their diet while in school is good. We always had our daughter pack a healthy lunch. Most school lunches appear to be healthy, but generally are not. Too much in the way of carbs, sugars, and presevatives.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Do u have a Wii? I just saw online that they have a Just Dance for kids.. Looked pretty cute!! :smile:
  • BriannaSkye
    Options
    Go to google and type in "workout dvd's for tweens...theres many!
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    You could plan out circuits to do together (I am a huge fan of circuits... keeps you from getting bored and they are FREE)

Go for a jog, jump rope, weights in between. You can look online and find great strength training ideas to throw in between fast cardio sessions.

Ie

2 min jump rope
    2 min arms session
    2 min Jumping jacks...

etc

Have fun and change it up a bit
  • Teresa652
    Teresa652 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I think its great that she wants to do it with you. Maybe in the long wrong its good for her. We have a 12 year old that is over weight and we do jogging around the house, strength training, jumping jacks, just about anything to get her heart going. We don't push her and encourage her to take extra breaks.
  • melph3
    melph3 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It should be okay for her to do the workout.
    Discourage the use of weights, let her use her own bodies resistance. Young teens/ children that use weights tend to damage their bones, because their bodies and bones are still maturing and can't handle this kind of resistance.
    Otherwise, exercise will help her develop self-confidence, kick her metabolism in, increase endorphins (feel good hormones), and give her a better attitude toward life. Kickboxing is always a fun workout for this age group.
  • HoagKimberly
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Shes a very active child so as someone mentioned just getting out and running around obviously hasnt help. We have been changing alot of her dietary choices, the hard part is her father is very overweight and will not change his lifestyle. Im looking at getting her into our local YMCA and I just found out that some places do Zumba classes geared for kids! I am her role model at this point and I dont want her to start with something like 30 day shred that would be a bit overwhelming for her.

Thanks again!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! Shes a very active child so as someone mentioned just getting out and running around obviously hasnt help. We have been changing alot of her dietary choices, the hard part is her father is very overweight and will not change his lifestyle. Im looking at getting her into our local YMCA and I just found out that some places do Zumba classes geared for kids! I am her role model at this point and I dont want her to start with something like 30 day shred that would be a bit overwhelming for her.

Thanks again!

my local ymca does zumba for kids...totally check yours...