Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Going to start P90X...equipment concerns

So I finally decided to start P90X. Unfortunately it is Friday and I couldn't bring myself to order the program earlier this week. However, the fact that today I finally ordered a chin-up/pull-up attachment for my workout bench (with the specific intention of getting the one major piece of equipment I don't have that I understand is needed for P90x) means that I just about have everything I need to get started. That is, if I can borrow the disks from a friend until I have my own (he uses it "part time" when he doesn't go to the gym, etc., so I can't permanently borrow them.)

Equipment:
bands / dumbbell weights -- I have a set of adjustable dumbbells I hope fills the bill.
pullup/chinup bar: pull-up bar arriving in about 2 weeks.
Workout area with 3/4-inch thick interlocking-pad flooring.
Workout space: suggested about 6'x6' -- need to check to see if I have sufficient space.
TV/DVD player for workout area: missing in action, considering using a laptop or buying a cheap TV/DVD combo.

Questions:
Are adjustable dumbbells fine for P90x? I have one of the best dumbbell sets on the market and don't want to have to buy more. They are really solid, but it takes about 30 seconds or so for a weight change. Worried here if you are expected to change weights on the fly.

If I started P90X tomorrow, can I get by without pullup equipment for a couple weeks? I have considerable $$ invested in my workout equipment and I don't want to buy a temporary thing just to replace it when my real bar arrives. If using a doorway pullup bar is out of the question, are there any other alternatives?

While on the subject of pullup bars, I am quite certain I can't do a single one at this point -- what are suggestions for what I can do until I gain this ability?

Replies

• Marianna10
    Marianna10 Posts: 1 Member
    You should try Insanity, it requires no equipment and its a more difficult workout.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    the dumbbells are fine so long as the weight is sufficient. I use adjustable ones but mine only go up to 15 lbs and I got too strong for these towards the end of p90x. I just pause the video if i get behind on adjusting but it isnt worth buying additional ones. You will need the pull up bar for most of the work outs so I recommend waiting to actually start the program or using resistance bands as an alternative to the bar when possible (tony shows alternatives in videos). I still cant do a pull up but I put a chair under me and just rest my legs on that. Tony goes through all of this in the materials that come w p90x. Best of luck with the program its amazing. Make sure u take your before and after pics/measurements!
  • CombatVet_Armywife
    CombatVet_Armywife Posts: 300 Member
    Your adjustable weights would work fine, in my opinion. Tony gives you the time to select your prefered weight for each movement.

I use the doorway pull-up bar and it works great, $19 at walmart, or they have the bands as well....he shows how to use the bands in place of a pull-up bar. I have also known people who use their weights while kneeling in place of the bar, I tried it, but didn't care much for it, still...it could be a temporary option for you. Good luck...and enjoy! :)
  • not all of the workouts on p90x require the pull up bar.. and yes your dumbells are just fine.... and as far as not being able to do one pull up... hang a resistance band from the pull up bar and rest your legs on it... add another if its still to difficult ;-)
  • I use a resistant band with a door attachment for the pull ups, and I love it. I know you didn't want to buy anything else, but one band with the attachment is like ten bucks, and you can find them at your local sporting goods store. I can't do a real pull up at the moment! When I started P90X I only used free weights for all the other moves, but one day I decided to try the resistance bands for the whole workout, and I felt like I worked so much harder using the bands.(Maybe I wasn't using the right amount of free weight?) I continue to use the bands. I think you will have plenty of time to adjust your adjustable weights, if not just pause the video for a second.
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Ajustable weights are fine as long as they are the right weight to be able to do the workouts with good form and challenge you .
    Bands work great as well. Pull ups can be done with any type of pull up bar and modified. Use chair or bands.
  • As others have said, you're current equipment will work!

But a note on the pull ups...I too started out not being able to do a single pull up and used the chair method they show in the videos. I don't recommend that at all. I became too dependent on it and didn't see any gains in it at all. I recommend doing as many pull ups as you can, it may be 0 but you should first try. Then use your legs to jump up to the top of the bar and start hanging. Then slowly (the slower the better) lower yourself to the bottom and repeat as many times as you can.

Once I started doing this, I actually saw a big increase in strength and am now able to do enough real pull ups.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Thanks for the advice all. I have dumbbells that go from like 10-75lbs. I've never used more than 55lbs, though, for some incline press type things when I was actually working out.

Can a lat pull-down machine be used in any way to simulate pullups, while I am waiting to get my real bar? I would think so, but hmm...

I'll have to look into the bands, maybe even try the one suggestion to use them for a full workout now and then. I don't think I will have the most sturdy door to use the bands on, I am afraid. That is the single biggest issue; the door and frame at my workout area are in terrible shape, and may not handle the additional stress, and I'm actually working on getting the owner to fix it. Already hoping the pullup bar gets here fast.

Sadly there is no way I can do Insanity yet. By all accounts P90x will be more than enough at first. I have one of those "may have worked out at one time but now is way out of shape" bodies, and the endurance to match. I'll look at Insanity sometime in the future, say, if I survive a cycle or two of P90x training.
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Knanns- I used the Negitive pull ups as well as I got in a little better shape about round 3 and yes it does help alot!
    Dave- You can use a lat pull down machine while you wait it is similar to using the bands in the door.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    That's great then, as I have a machine with lat pull-down.

Still, since i sometimes have to travel a lot, I am going to look into resistance bands anyway!