Curious about burning calories...

Options
So I am just curious but for my exercise for the day I only put in the stuff where I am ACTUALLY working out. I noticed there are activities such as cleaning and food preparation and measley tasks that we have to do on a daily basis. Do you guys really count that stuff? I mean, I know our bodies are constantly burning calories but it would seem to me we would only want to keep track of actual exercise.

Thoughts?

Replies

• girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've wondered that too!
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I never add stuff i do everyday, like tidying up the house, and cooking. Only exercise that is not part of your normal day.
  • bopper
    bopper Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I agree. I do those types of things daily. I only count actual structured exercise programs into my exercise.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    It depends on how regular your schedule is. For the most part, cooking dinner, walking to the mailbox, carrying laundry up the stairs, etc, should be counted into your daily activity level that you assess when you first sign up.

However, a couple weeks ago I spent 8 HOURS in the kitchen making special stuff for a birthday - thank GOD that is not part of my daily or even weekly routine. So I logged that, because it was way over and above what I do on a daily basis.

For things that are maybe a once a week thing, or a lot more "intense" than what you do normally, that should be logged, as it's extra exertion that your body is not accustomed to.

Make sense?
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Ladyhawke has it right. Normal routine, dont count it! The Sex question pops up all time under this same question and I stand by the same answer. If sex with your partner is a regular activity than dont count it.

Only count things that are not in your normal routine. And honestly Only count things that actually feel like a workout. so you volunteered at the senior center stuffing envelopes! Yay good job feel good you volunteered. Dont count an hour of stuffing envelopes as a workout.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    The Sex question pops up all time under this same question and I stand by the same answer. If sex with your partner is a regular activity than dont count it.

Only count things that are not in your normal routine. And honestly Only count things that actually feel like a workout. so you volunteered at the senior center stuffing envelopes! Yay good job feel good you volunteered. Dont count an hour of stuffing envelopes as a workout.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    It depends on how regular your schedule is. For the most part, cooking dinner, walking to the mailbox, carrying laundry up the stairs, etc, should be counted into your daily activity level that you assess when you first sign up.

However, a couple weeks ago I spent 8 HOURS in the kitchen making special stuff for a birthday - thank GOD that is not part of my daily or even weekly routine. So I logged that, because it was way over and above what I do on a daily basis.

For things that are maybe a once a week thing, or a lot more "intense" than what you do normally, that should be logged, as it's extra exertion that your body is not accustomed to.

Make sense?

agreed. one day i spent waaaay more time cleaning than per usual so i did log it. but most of the time i don't log that stuff.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I don't log a normal night of cooking or regular chores. But when I was doing a total overhaul of my home office or a top to bottom apartment cleaning and prep for a party, I log those things. Typically I judge by if I'm breaking a sweat for an extended period of time doing the major chore/task, I'll log it. Also, I'm on the second floor so stuff that involves a lot of trips up and down the stairs to take out garbage or stuff down to the car to take away gets logged. Though, I have my own entry for it that I got off of an online calculator that got weight and age to calculate the calories for number of minutes of housework. That was almost a year ago though, so I don't remember the website, I just found it via google.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated!!! :)
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I never add stuff i do everyday, like tidying up the house, and cooking. Only exercise that is not part of your normal day.

Ditto.