Insanity, P90x, Turbo Jam etc. etc. etc....which one???

Options
Hello! I am thinking about buying some sort of at home workout program with my tax return. I have heard of a million different ones on this site, so I am wondering which would you recommend?????

I know a lot of it has to do with what each ind person likes so here is a little bit of what I like/dont like: I am a horrible dancer and get really discouraged when I can't do dance moves in workout dvds, I have done some of the p90x dvds and I LOVE the Kempo and Plyo but am not a huge fan of the arms, back etc.

Thanks!

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I can only speak to what I know and that's P90X lean program. IT's the same dvd's but different order. I've almost finished my first 30 days. :) I see a big difference and know some of my peeps here on MFP are doing it with me and it's very motivating and also some compassion for the ones we dislike. It helps keep you motivated. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of feedback but I only have the P90X so that's what I know.

Good luck in your choice.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    It is totally based on your personality. I'm not a dvd person, but if you are able to allow yourself a more expensive form of exercise, I'd say get an xbox360 with a kinect or a wii. They are great exercise tools and also allow you to incorporate others into the fun if you need it for entertainment or family night! That would be my advice. But if you can't swing that, I love zumba and would do it everyday if I could. Good luck finding the one that works for you!
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Chaleane Extreame is a great one that is not dancy.(no Pull ups but does use weights)
    P90X you can do the lean version if your not big on the weights. Personally P90X classic is my favorite.
    Insanity lots of Plyometric high intensity work.
  • katacha999
    Options
    I wouldn't do Insanity or TurboFire = they have a lot of dance like moves - with martial arts. I love dancing and am (or so I think) rather coordinated - but it has taken me 2 - 3 cracks at the choreography in Turbo Fire - and when I am doing it - so fun; but when I am confused with the sequence - I want to punch her.

You could build a schedule of cardio around P90X that you like. Did you try the cardio one? but you could do core, cardio, kenpo, plyo and then do the stretch and abs on the other two days? Or do Kenpo - Mon, Wed, Fri and Plyo on Tues & Thurs ... Just saying if you already have these videos and you like them - then do that. you could always kick up the cardio by going for a half hour or even 15 minutes!! run prior to doing the Kenpo. That's what I would do when I was training Muay Thai (like Kenpo but better - my opinion). But I get how you may not like the weight training, although weight training is a key component to any work out program. Muscle burns cals! And having some muscle definition has a very slimming effect too. I was shocked at the muscle I acquired during my first P90X Lean circuit. In 4 wks I had serious traps and could move my boobs with chest muscles! Eeek! But I am also naturally muscular - so building them up is really easy, this is why it scares me! I don't want to look like a muscle freak!

I wish I knew of a better video - I mean there's always tae bo (not my fave but - it does make you sweat) - which is essentially like the kenpo taught in P90 - only I am pretty sure no elbows.

Good luck finding the workout for you!

K~