Eat Shrink and Be Merry - Cookbook

Options
mmm!!

I just finished eating my lunch which was leftovers from last night's dinner 'Rome on the Range" from the cookbook "Eat Shrink and Be Merry".

I have read A LOT of diet cook books, and diet books, and diet blogs, and I have tried A LOT of sketchy diet recipes (my poor husband) but this one is proving to be my favourite.

So far I have made two recipes this week from the book The "Better Butter Chicken" and 'Rome on the Range", the former being a lower fat lower cal butter chicken (delicious!) and the latter being a roasted tomato and red pepper soup with mini meatballs!

I see that someone previously has put the nutritional info for both recipes in the food tracker so I'm sure other people are eating and enjoying these meals too!

Just had to give a shout out to this excellent book. I borrowed mine from the library but I am definitely picking myself up a copy ASAP. If anyone is interested in the recipes let me know and I will type 'em up. But this book is definitely worth picking up! I'm going to try another recipe this week and might even dare to bake one of the goodies in it. (Not always a good idea for a binge eater to have delicious baked goods around the house) but my hubby deserves it after all the disastrous protein pancakes he's consumed over the past year or so. eek.
:)

Replies

• mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Hi~definitely interested.
  • crystal_sapphire
    crystal_sapphire Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    is there anything geared to more high protein and lower carb? both of those sound delicious!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My poor husband is my guinea pig too! BUT most of the recipes I revamp turn out really well. I'd love to try the butter chicken recipe.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I love love love these cookbooks! I have all three of them - I have yet to make a recipe from them that I (and my daughter's) don't like! Well worth every penny!
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    Both of these recipes were pretty good for carb/protein ratio. I too try to eat a higher protein diet. I'll type them up and post them asap.
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Most definitely interested in good, healthy food. :flowerforyou:
  • mymelody_78
    mymelody_78 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! =)
  • kbellnurse
    Options
    I was lucky enough to find the recipes typed up already on another site!! I will add my 2 cents that the better butter chicken could use a bit more spice. If you like it mild just up the tumeric/chili powder a little bit. If you like some heat maybe some red pepper flakes or add a jalepeno or hot chili pepper or something. Enjoy!

Rome on the Range
    Roasted tomato and red pepper soup with mini meatballs

Soup:
    8 large plum or Roma tomatoes (about 2 lbs/907 g)
    2 large red bell peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
    1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    2 tbsp each minced fresh thyme and fresh rosemary (or 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning)
    2 cups beef broth, divided
    1 cup V8 juice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves (or 2 tsp dried)
    1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp granulated sugar
    1/2 tsp each salt, freshly ground black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes

Meatballs:
    12 oz (340 g) extra-lean ground beef
    1/4 cup minced shallots or onions
    1/4 cup unseasoned dry bread crumbs
    2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
    1/4 tsp each salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 450F. Coarsely chop tomatoes and combne with red peppers, onion, garlic, olive oil, thyme and rosemary in a very large roasting pan or on a very large rimmed baking sheet. It's best if vegetables are in a single layer.

Place roasting pan in oven on middle rack and roast vegetables for 15 mins. Remove vegetablese from oven and give them a quick stir. Return pan to oven on middle rack and turn on the broiler. Broil vegetables for 10 mins.

Meanwhile, prepare meatballs. Combine all meatball ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well. Using your hands works best! Form 48 mini meatballs using 1 tsp or so of meat mixture per ball. Set aside.

Remove vegetables from oven. Transfer half the vegetables to a blender or food processor, along with 1 cup of beef broth, and puree until smooth. Transfer pureed vegetables to a large soup pot. Chop remaining vegetables into bite-sized pieces (if any tomato or pepper skins come loose, discard them) and add to pot, along with remaining beef broth, V8 juice, basil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, salt, black pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring soup to a boil. Add meatballs. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through. Taste soup and add more salt and pepper if desired. Makes 8 servings.

Per serving: calories, 184; total fat, 7.8g; saturated fat, 3.3g; protein, 15g; carbs, 16g; fiber, 2.9g; cholesterol, 64mg; sodium, 440mg

The Better Butter Chicken
    Fragrant Indian butter chicken

2 tbsp butter
    1 cup chopped onions
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp grated gingerroot
    1 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 can (19 oz/540 ml) diced tomatoes, undrained
    2 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tbsp brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken, skin removed and meat cut up
    1/3 cup light (5%) cream
    1/4 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
    1 tbsp minced fresh cilantro
    Hot, cooked basmati rice (optional)

Melt butter in a deep, 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook slowly, stirring often, until onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add gingerroot, chili powder, turmeric, and cinnamon. Cook 1 more minute. Add undrained tomatoes, tomato paste, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occaisonally.

Add cut-up chicken, cream and sour cream. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro. Serve over hot basmati rice, if desired. Makes 5 servings.

Per serving: calories, 293; total fat, 11.4g; saturated fat, 5g; protein, 33g; carbs, 15g; fiber, 2.9g; cholesterol, 105mg; sodium, 483mg
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I keep meaning to get some of their cookbooks, but never remember to! lol
    but i do love watching their tv show, loads of great recipes there. it's on the canadian food network channel, not sure if the american one has it.
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have this and Looneyspoons, I agree that the recipes turn out great but I haven't used them since before I had kids. There are just soooooooo many ingredients, it's time consuming and expensive, I wish they haf easier recipes!!
  • MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    i tape their show and watch it all the time! todays actualyl had the butter chicken! and it looked so delicious