office work outs help!!

Options
Any one know of any work out to do when you work in a office ?? i work in a office and i am stuck to this chair for 7 hrs a day

Replies

• monstertwelve
    Options
    i'm interested in finding out what people do too!!!

i hate just sitting at my desk for 8 hours a day doing nothing (exercise wise)!!!

but i'm always shaking my leg (and just being jittery all the time) which can burn upto 100 cals an hour!!! :happy:
    but thats kinda cheating, isnt it...
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know too!! I get real tired of sitting in this chair all day!
  • Tabascoaddict
    Options
    I'm in the same situation as you. I make it a habit of walking during my break time (2 15mins per day). It's not much but better than nothing :happy:
    Someone recommended me to watch these....maybe this might help?
    How to get an Office Workout & Office Workout Routine on YouTube.
    Good luck!
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've found some great articles at about (dot) com. I found some really helpful suggestions in the family fitness section. One in particular was all about squeezing three ten-minute workouts into your day. It was at: http://familyfitness.about.com/od/bearolemodel/a/exercise_at_home.htm
  • MrsKAddy
    MrsKAddy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Do you have the option to take a short brisk walk (like 5-10minutes)? If you do that at least twice a day you get a quick 20 minutes in of moderate cardio. I work in a high school and do a quick brisk walk around the halls while the kids are in class! I bring my heart rate up enough to still speak but sound breathy.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I brought a resistance band with me to work, so on downtime I'll focus on working a specific muscle group. Like one day I'll do back and biceps. Another day I'll do triceps and chest. In-between, I'll do chair dips, tricep dips from my desk, push-ups and light ab workouts for the 1st half hour of my lunch. I only do them until I start feeling warm, not long enough to actually start sweating profusely, as to not get my work clothes all musty and whatnot.

Other workouts you could do while sitting at a desk all day are isometric holds and stretches. One example would be to sit up straight, with your legs in front of you at a 90 degree angle, and slowly lift one leg straight out in front of you, then flex your heel [so that your toes are pointing up or back towards you as far as comfortably possible] and hold for 10 - 15 seconds, then slowly lower it back down. Repeat with the other leg and alternate for about a total of 3 - 5 times per side.

For abs, again sit up straight, and don't rest your back against anything. Then tighten your abs and hold the flex for 20 second intervals, breathing normally through the hold, then relax keeping your back straight. Take 5 recovery breaths, then repeat it for a total of 5 times. These are just little things that I researched people could do at desk jobs. Also, if you are able to, you could invest in a yoga ball, the big inflatable kind, that you could sit on as a replacement for your regular chair. It will force you to maintain posture and balance, and keep your abs working throughout the day to stay balanced.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    i'm interested in finding out what people do too!!!

i hate just sitting at my desk for 8 hours a day doing nothing (exercise wise)!!!

but i'm always shaking my leg (and just being jittery all the time) which can burn upto 100 cals an hour!!! :happy:
    but thats kinda cheating, isnt it...

Actually, no it's not. As long as your muscles are constantly moving, they're burning something. Being absolutely sedentary, just short of comatose, will cause your muscles to atrophy and become weak and loose. I wouldn't necessarily track leg shaking as a cardiovascular exercise, but you can keep it as a valid activity in the back of your mind or in your notes so that you know that you've been doing something during idle time.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention would be to stand up and walk around while you're at work. If you're liberal enough to not be confined to a cubicle, you could invest in a cheap little headset for work, and walk while you're answering calls and dealing with clients or customers. Standing will always burn more calories than sitting.
  • RocknnRobin
    RocknnRobin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I hear you!

I'm in the same situation and hate how inactive cubical life can be. Here's a few things I did to alleviate the lack of motion:

• Bought a Fitness Ball. You can spend anywhere from 15 - 70$, but they are so worth it. Measure how tall you need it to be to comfortably sit on, and still reach your keyboard, and buy one in the right size, specifically for your office. Keep it there. I keep mine tucked under my desk, and pull it out to sit on, stretch on and do exercises on during my breaks, and while I'm typing. Most come with instructions for different exercises, or you can always google.

(Just sitting on a fitness ball while you work you can move around and from side to side and get allot of stretching and work your abs, back and legs. There are great pilates moves you can do—and many of the exercises I can achieve while I sit and type at my desk.)

• Many offices have a staircase. Make it a point to walk the staircase several times a day.

• Talk other people in the office into getting fit as a group. About a year ago enough of us (where I work) showed interest in sharing a once-a-week-lunch-hour yoga session. The company agreed to pay for an instructor to come onsite and teach the class. Now we have weekly onsite yoga—paid for—how cool is that?

And there's nothing wrong with bringing tennis shoes with you and just committing to walking during breaks on sunny days. I use to do this with an office buddy, and we'd motivate each other. We'd measured how far down the road a half mile was with a car, and try and set walking records for how far we could get in a 15 min break.

Hope this helps—and good luck!