Camping Food

Options
bwleung89
bwleung89 Posts: 55 Member
So i am going camping soon and i need to stay away from foods that are usually high in cholesterol and fat. We tend to just cook on the fire and drink. The only thing i can think of that is camp worthy is some stews. Anyone have any good ideas on camping food that is healthy and not out of place with the setting?

Replies

• patty6473
    Options
    Check out the website www.skinnytaste.com! There are tons of low-fat, low-cal recipes on there. I am sure you can tailor something to be more camp-worthy!! :smile:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Why does eating healthy have to be 'out of place'? When I camp...we take all kinds of healthy foods. I'm a vegetarian...so what I would recommend probably wouldn't be well received, but I'll try.

Pack a cooler...ice as first layer...then items that need to be kept coldest at the bottom. Any dairy and meats. Then veggies and fruits. Will you be bringing a dutch oven? Or are you 'hiking in' to your destination? If you're bringing a dutch oven, look up some recipes online, there are bound to be tons to pick from.
  • bwleung89
    Options
    healthy is not out of place just traditionally we try to fire grill everything and those foods tend to revolve around steaks, burgers, and hotdogs. When we cook, we cook one meal for everyone and I wanted to still get the outdoor preperation feeling that we get. Alot of the guys wouldn't go for a vegetable stew or turkey sandwiches.
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I love camping and this will be a challenge for me also this summer.
    After thinking a bit I realized that what I like the most when I am camping is snacking. Of course this might be different for you but I always bring a cooler and this time I would fill it with: Vegetable sticks and bring some healthy dips ( You can make your own or buy it) Hummus and crackers, stew is a great idea for dinner over the fire. You can even add a whole weat bun or something.
    For other snacks you could bring quakers rice crakers (I like the buttery popcorn ones).
    I used to buy the veggie dogs for the fire at night. Im not sure how good or bad they are for you, that was a long time ago, but you could check that out!

Goodluck!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I make foil dinners to take camping. You just coat a long piece of foil in a little olive oil, put veggies; carrots, broccoli, etc and a salmon fillet in the middle of it, fold and roll the foil up, cook on fire, there you go. So simple and tastes amazing!

You could also use chicken or steak, but the salmon tastes so awesome from being fire-cooked!
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    One of our family's favorite camping dinner is bbq chicken. We bring chicken drumsticks and bbq them until done then just add a little bbq sauce at the end. You can even avoid the sauce all together if you prefer. We also bring tons of fuits as snacks, and yogurts too. Lunches we keep pretty simple, usually just turkey sandwiches. Breakfasts are my husbands favorites so he goes all out, even making pancakes. Omletes are your best bet though. scramble up eggs (or egg beaters) and pure into a zip-lock bag. add onions, olives, peppers, etc to it then you can pour the contents out to cook. Have fun! I can't wait until our next camping trip in a few months! :)
  • rockieschick
    rockieschick Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I make foil dinners to take camping. You just coat a long piece of foil in a little olive oil, put veggies; carrots, broccoli, etc and a salmon fillet in the middle of it, fold and roll the foil up, cook on fire, there you go. So simple and tastes amazing!

You could also use chicken or steak, but the salmon tastes so awesome from being fire-cooked!

That sounds delicious!!!!!!
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Definitely do the foil packet dinners! I make these all the time when I go camping and at home :). You can put almost anything in them and they are healthy and tasty!

Use heavy duty foil -

My favorite one: Chicken breast (seasoned to your liking), top with frozen corn, red & green bell pepper, zucchini, onion, then add BBQ sauce over the whole pile, fold it up and throw it in the oven, BBQ, fire pit, whatever! I usually serve that over some jasmine rice, but if I am camping I will throw in some diced potatoes to, if you want a carb.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    we are lazy and I'm a vegetarian, so we always open a can of soup and cook it on the grate. I also eat the fresh veggies and a crap ton of marshmallows (roasted marshmallows are my weakness and I only live once and camp so infrequently that I give my self a pass on my charcoal mash mellows.)
  • 1wendyrn
    Options
    We love to camp too! You can make tons of yummy packet foods on the grill. Take a chicken breast, fish or pork chop top with slice of pineapple, onion, peppers, whatever...fold up aluminum foil into a packet and place on grill or grate over fire and let cook. DELISH. You can take turkey burgers or veggie dogs to eat while your friends eat the fatty kind also. Have fun!
  • bwleung89
    Options
    So we ended up buying a dutch oven and cutting up Jalapenos, tomatos, potatos, carrots, and two cans of beef broth. Instead of using a healthier turkey meat, my friends made me cube a steak. We let it brew for a few hours while we finished setting up camp. Then we sat around and ate the stew. It was delicious but very spicy with the jalapenos. The cold was pretty bad but to my suprise the stew stayed warm for another 3 hours inside the dutch oven. Thanks for all the ideas!
  • motheroftwoboys
    Options
    I love putting a chicken beast, bbq sauce, and pineapple in foil and cooking it over the fire. SO Yummy.