Do you ever go a week without exercising?

blogger79
blogger79 Posts: 14
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I love going to the pool.. love it.. but sometimes I just need a break from life.

I am currently working 2 jobs (student loan HELL) so I don't ever have any days off..

I usually rush home, get some sort of snack before heading to the pool and then when I get home it's already 8:30 and I'll cook and get ready for the next day. I only do this three times per week..

I also am attending a night course on wednesday nights and on Tues & Thurs we usually go for a 60 minute walk.

This week I haven't been able to get motivated for anything. I have gone home every day and sat on the couch (for the most part) and am tired and falling asleep by 10pm. I think I needed a rest.

Am i crazy?

I feel super guilty about it though.. "You're wasting your memership Jessica, you aren't going to meet your fitness goals Jessica, you're being lazy Jessica"..

Replies

• bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Wow! That is a busy schedule. I don't think anyone could call you crazy! I have had weeks like that in the past and people on MFP suggest I take a day or two, then get back into it. It's hard when we have so much going on (I work two jobs as well) but if you take too much time off it may be harder to fit it back into your schedule. I think you deserve some down time, just try to get back into the swing of things as soon as you can. That's what I would suggest at least!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    It's definitely okay to take a break, and take time off. I would try to get back into the swing of things once you feel better though simply because the longer you take off, the more your "break" could become permanent. I say take your time, don't feel guilty, but really push yourself back into your program once you're able to.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Yep! I keep finding myself working out every other day for maybe 3 weeks, then I'll just .. not do it! Dunno why! I'll pass 2 or even 3 weeks without exercise and then BAM, I want to do it again! This goes on and on with me.

So far my weight loss has continued even if I don't exercise because I am still eating very well. I am trying to get myself to exercise for 2 months straight (no week long breaks!) and hopefully I will really see some muscle tone kicking in.

So keep in mind to eat well, drink lots of water, and get plenty of sleep! You won't NEED to exercise to lose weight, although it helps. And if you need to take a little break in the exercise, then do it! Just take care of yourself :)
  • carrieliz81
    carrieliz81 Posts: 489 Member
    Um, I *often* go a week without exercising. Don't feel guilty, just make sure you're not eating over your daily calories! Can't help you on the membership fee, tho.......
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    The books I've read say to work an exercise plan for 6 weeks, take 4 -7 days off and change the routine entirely. Do that routine for 6 weeks... Rinse/repeat.
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    I think that 95% of weight loss is 100% diet. Working out is just a means to tone your muscles and enable yourself to eat more calories. I don't think you have to work out at all to be healthy and be at a target weight. You just have to eat less calories than you would if you did work out.
  • InMyJeans
    InMyJeans Posts: 87 Member
    Agreed! If you're not working out I would just watch my food intake more. Working out allows you to be a little more at ease with the eating but I do believe that food is most of weight loss. I lost 68 before by eating what I wanted but I worked out like a mad dog. Once I stop working out and eating everything I wanted I gained ALL 68 back + some more. This time around Im focusing on my nutrition more and work outs less. I still want to be able to run 3 miles without passing out but I know food plays a BIG part in weight loss.
  • I took a week off exercising when I had a cold- this is a rare occurence b/c I never take time to REST! I think that what many people don't stop and realize is that rest is just as important as exercise!!! The key to exercise is making it a part of your daily routine so you don't think twice about doing it. But listening to our bodies is also very important. Know when to push yourself and when to lay off.
  • Inpjs66
    Inpjs66 Posts: 109 Member
    I haven't yet gone a week since I've started watching my calories but things are getting tough. I work full time, need to leave my house by 6:45 to get to work for 7:30 on a normal day of traffic. I work until 4:30 P.M. every day. School just started and I am taking two courses. One online which my sharpest time is in the A.M. , the other Wednesday nights from 6 to 10:30. I am determined not to let my schooling get in the way of my exercising at least 4 to 5 times a week. It is tough, I have to say. I am in bed by 9 every night and up at 3:30 to get my work out in except for school night.

You need to set a regimen for yourself and will have to sacrifice one thing for another. That's all part of life as much as it stinks!
  • Thanks for all the lovely replies! I feel A LOT better.. I don't know why I am so hard on myself.. Sometimes I think I am my own worst enemy.. lol!!

All in all the membership isn't that expensive ($33 a month) so to miss a few classes here and there isn't really THAT big of a deal.

I am learning to listen to my body, mind and stomach more these days (a goal of mine) and so I will just let it go.
This discussion has been closed.