Questions for those of you with hypothyroidism

Options
2»

Replies

• robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    In regard to RobynRae_1's post:

With all respect, this is incorrect. Diet can impact thyroid function. Goitrogenic foods should be avoided, or at least not consumed raw. If you google "food to avoid with Hypothyroidism" you will see many articles come up on this subject.

Sorry, I meant to quote, and I commented instead.

Lucy

My Dr. has never had me change my dieat because of my thyroid. This might because of the type of hypothryroid that I have (autoimmune.) That and when I posted that I was thinking more along the lines of what you can not have with the medication because it intrerfers with absorbtion. I no longer take my vitamins in the AM because of this.

I might have to look in to goitrogenic food just so I know what they are.
  • yayamamma
    Options
    Wow. I also have hypo and thought I understood it relatively well (diagnosed about 10 years ago). I've been having a doozing of a time managing my weight and thyroid as well as cholesterol and depression, all overlapping each other, it seems. Thanks to all your comments regarding symptoms and your trials and tribulations, I'm starting to think I need to see my doctor again. I took it all for granted and have possibly allowed other symptoms to be ignored and/or mis-attributed....
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options

With all respect, this is incorrect. Diet can impact thyroid function. Goitrogenic foods should be avoided, or at least not consumed raw. If you google "food to avoid with Hypothyroidism" you will see many articles come up on this subject.

Lucy

My Dr. has never had me change my dieat because of my thyroid. This might because of the type of hypothryroid that I have (autoimmune.) That and when I posted that I was thinking more along the lines of what you can not have with the medication because it intrerfers with absorbtion. I no longer take my vitamins in the AM because of this.

[/quote
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options

Lucy

[/quote
    I honestly don't think Western medicine docs know that much about nutrition, and the correlation between hypothyroidism and foods. I think some of them are learning more, and are more open to it, and to holistic approaches, but many are not so knowledgeable. Taking a pill is their only solution. But then again, they are in bed with the pharmacuetical companies...label it, prescribe a pill, send 'em on their way! I also have autoimmune thyroiditis (Hashimotos), and much of what I have learned about nutrition and thyroid health is through holistic health, and research. As much as I would liked to have found a holistic approach, Levoxyl works for me, so I don't mess around with it, but I really do believe that diet -- including staying away from caffienne, refined sugars, alcohol, tobacco and wheat, as well as most of the goitrogenic foods has helped. And I am the same, I take nothing else in the a.m., I am super cautious about it!

Lucy
  • ud1000
    ud1000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with mine at 19 as well (11 years ago) I was in first year at University and instead of partying I slept! Slept for a whole year. I had pretty much the same symptoms as you, always cold and had a real problem with my hair falling out. My skin was ok, but the skin around my nails just flakes away (and still does). I had also gained about 20lbs in weight. I started on 25mcg of Levothyroxine and within a year was on 200mcg daily. I have taken this everyday for the last 10 years.

Weight loss was slow, I really had to work at it. Its hard when you don't have energy to exercise, but you have to remember exercise will give you energy. Any weight I lost, I earned it through sheer determination- it wasn't the drug that helped me loose weight.

About 2 years ago I got a new Doctor who didn't agree with the high dose I was on and she moved me to 175mcg daily, within a month my hair was back to falling out and I was feeling very lethargic. So I asked to go back to 200 and she reluctantly agreed. Now I feel great. I ran two marathons last year and it never affected me at all. I did injure myself and had to stop running and have since gained weight, but I know its cause I'm not exercising and it has nothing to do with having and Underactive Thyroid.

Good luck, I hope you get it sorted soon
  • bmbellamy
    bmbellamy Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too am hypo. Going for my yearly check-up this week (labs this morning) to get an updated level. I've also requested to have my Cortisol levels checked due to some recent high stessors in my life which can impact weight loss.

Also, going to request referral to Endo and Nutritionist to maximize my efforts for weight loss while managing hypothyroidism.

Thanks for starting this post. Sounds like the beginnings of a good Hypo-support group!