Anyone have a healthier version of the traditional cheesy ha

Options
amycal
amycal Posts: 646 Member
We are having a brunch on Sunday and my mom suggested I make these. Here is the original recipe:

Ingredients:
1 (2 pound) package frozen hash brown
potatoes, thawed
1/2 cup melted butter
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream
of chicken soup
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups crushed cornflakes cereal

I am thinking of using Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream and could use less cheese but I really want to omit the canned soup. Any ideas?
1/4 cup melted butter

Replies

• colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure Campbell's makes a 50% less sodium version of the soup. Every little bit helps!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh, and low fat or fat free shredded cheese would work better than using less cheese, I think. And of course finding a nice substitute for butter. Sounds yummy!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You could make a basic white sauce with chicken broth and milk and yes that's a lot of butter. seems like if you could spray the pan really good with cooking spray and cut your butter and just use what you use in your white sauce. :) Good luck. You could always add a bag of broccoli to it and it'd be yummy as well plus throws in a veggie. And yes on the greek yogurt.
  • 1983Miller
    1983Miller Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    LOW FAT CHEESY POTATO CASSEROLE

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1725,157160-238207,00.html
    Content Copyright © 2011 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 tbsp. butter
    1 (10 3/4 oz.) low fat cream of chicken soup
    1 (6 oz.) low fat sour cream
    1 1/2 c. shredded low fat Cheddar cheese
    1 (32 oz.) pkg. frozen hash brown potatoes
    3/4 c. corn flake crumbs
    Vegetable oil spray

Heat butter, sour cream, soup and cheese until cheese melts. Spray with oil a 9x13 inch dish. Put potatoes in dish. Pour cheese mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle with corn flake crumbs. Spray lightly with oil spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serves 12 at 188 calories per serving.
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    You could just make a gravy out of chicken stock and cornstarch. Homemade chicken stock would be best so you control the sodium!
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I believe the butter at the end of your recipe is for coating the bread crumbs. Instead of that, you can just spray them with cooking spray.

I almost always sub greek yogurt for sour cream and it works just fine!

I would suggest making your or "cream soup" here's how: http://www.ehow.com/how_4574597_cream-soup-substitute.html

If you can find a low-fat block of cheese, you can probably get away with using less in general because it will melt better and just seem like more cheese if you shred it yourself.

If you want to make it healthier by adding veggies, broccoli slaw or shredded carrots would work great!
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I make something similar except with jalapenos.
  • sundaysurf
    sundaysurf Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I want to make this. Sounds amazing!
  • MaryBachert
    MaryBachert Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this. I had made the regular recipe earlier this week, but will now switch to making these.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I always substitute fat free, low sodium and suger free ingredients in anywhere I can get awway with it. It seems so minor but really saves a lot of calories when cooking from scratch. Be careful with the low fat and fat free sour cream because I have noticed that they tend to make a dish slightly runny. If you have the time you can line a strainer with cheese cloth and put the sour cream in it for a few hours and the excess water will drip out leaving you with a thicker sour cream.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    use the fat free soup and use skin milk (or even whole milk) in place of the canned cream. You can use ff sour cream. Wonder how it would taste if you used whole grain flakes instead of corn flakes? Maybe you can make a trial run at home and teste the flavor first before you take it to the gathering.
  • kimel
    kimel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Individual Ham, Cheese and Veggie Frittatas

Ingredients
    2 spray(s) cooking spray
    1 pound(s) frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
    4 large egg(s), beaten
    1 Tbsp fat-free skim milk
    1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
    1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    2 oz cooked lean ham, finely chopped
    1/8 cup(s) sweet red pepper(s), finely chopped (2 Tbsp)
    1/8 cup(s) green pepper(s), finely chopped (2 Tbsp)
    2 Tbsp onion(s), finely chopped
    1/2 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
    Instructions

* Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 8 muffin tin holes with cooking spray. Spread potatoes around bottom and press potato up sides of each muffin hole; place in oven and cook for 10 minutes.

* Meanwhile, beat eggs and milk together in a medium bowl; season with salt and pepper. Add ham, peppers, onion and cheese to bowl; mix to combine.

* Remove potatoes from oven (after cooking for 10 minutes) and press potatoes down firmly with a spoon so that they are spread out like mini piecrusts (potatoes should cover bottom and sides of each hole). Pour about 1/4 cup of egg mixture into the centre of each muffin hole.

* Return pan to oven and cook until potatoes are crisp and golden, and the egg mixture is set, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit about 5 minutes before serving. Yields 1 frittata per serving.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your responses. Kimel - that recipe sounds good. I don't think I will make them for tomorrow but I will make them sometime! Happy weekend everyone :-)
  • Grammy54
    Grammy54 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Use Campbell's healthy request soup. Omit the butter use olive oil and use butter flavoring. You could use fat free sour cream for the sour cream alos.