Low carb dieting question?

Options
I've been doing a low carb diet since August 2010....I'm starting to think about adding more healthy carbs back into my diet. While being on low carb I have also been keeping my calories at 1200. Lots of people say that if you go off of a low carb diet the weight will start to come back on. So...my question is...is there anyone out there that has any input on if I keep my calories at 1200, but start eating more carbs..the weight wouldn't start to pile back on ...would it??? LOL, logically I know if you keep your cals low, you won't gain weight...but this is my first time going low carb and some feedback/experience would be helpful!

Replies

• dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't know what type of low carb diet you are doing but I have been not eating bread, pasta, wheat, gluten sorta thing. I have come to find i LOVE brown rice and Amaranth. Both very mild grains that taste good with anything. I think adding a cpl of those back in to your diet would avoid the carb crash from eating processed white garbage, and still be satisfying. Quinoa is good too but i am not that big a fan of it myself
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 calories a day.....and 165 grams of carbs.

I'm losing weight...so I dont think you will gain on it.

I don't eat junky carbs.... steel cut oats....whole grain bread....brown rice, that kind of stuff...
  • Beclidd
    Options
    How much weight have you lost? Looks like a lot according to the pictures. I started a low carb diet to Jan. 3 I have lost 14 pounds so far. I plan to do the same thing and I just started looking at my calorie intake. Any tips or food ideas you can give on staying on the low carb diet for an extended length of time.
    Keep up the good work!
  • LizzieBrayden
    Options
    I'm on a low fat, low sodium diet and at 1200 calories. I am following my doctor's recommendations. I am not on low carb and still easily remain at 1200. I've found that if I eat a majority of my protein in the morning, that I can stick to the diet without feeling a lot of hunger. That and water as well as using carbs for snacks seems to help me a lot.
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    I did low carb for a few weeks and lost 10.6 pounds. A week and a half ago I added whole grains into my diet and gained back 2 lbs. I have been doing everything the same except the carbs and I can't get that 2 lbs back off. I don't know if that's why or just a coincidence, but I think that's why. I eat 1200 cals and exercise at least 60 min a day. Maybe slowly introduce them back and see what happens. You're gonna have to include carbs sometime as I realized. Good luck :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a low carb diet since August 2010....I'm starting to think about adding more healthy carbs back into my diet. While being on low carb I have also been keeping my calories at 1200. Lots of people say that if you go off of a low carb diet the weight will start to come back on. So...my question is...is there anyone out there that has any input on if I keep my calories at 1200, but start eating more carbs..the weight wouldn't start to pile back on ...would it??? LOL, logically I know if you keep your cals low, you won't gain weight...but this is my first time going low carb and some feedback/experience would be helpful!

This is where plans like Atkins work wonders.

The Atkins plan has the carb ladder that you climb where your adding in different foods while finding your carb threshold. That is where you find out exactly how many carbs you can have where your body will lose weight, maintain weight and gain weight. This is important to know so you can maintain your weight easily!!

Here is the Atkins carb ladder.

This is the order of preference which Atkins recommends for adding carbohydrate food back into the diet during the Ongoing Weight Loss Phase (OWL). They are roughly ordered as to how glycemic they are:

1.More salad and other vegetables
    2.Fresh cheeses (as well as more aged cheese)
    3.Nuts and Seeds
    4.Berries, then melons
    5.Dry wine (and other spirits low in carbs)
    6.Legumes
    7.Other Fruits
    8.Starchy vegetables
    9.Whole grains
  • Beclidd
    Options
    What do you know about the low carb pasta made by dreamfields (purchased at Publix)? I have had people tell me it is ok to eat on low carb diet after induction period? Just curious if anyone knows anything about this product? It tastes really good so sometimes I wonder if it is too good to be true.
  • NicolaGoodyear
    Options
    I was doing the atkins diet a long time ago,i lost like a stone really really quick,then when i went back to normal low cal diet i gained about 2lb just dont go made eating junk youl do fine xx