I'm a newbie!! And I'm excited!!

losinit11
losinit11 Posts: 5
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
hello everyone!! I've been talking about losing my weight for years. So a million excuses later, I'm going to do it. It's been holding me back for too long. I have a lot to lose, so I know it will take time, but I'm determined.

I'm looking for suggestions...I tried C25k, and it killed my knees. I used to love to run, and think 5k's are a great motivator. Maybe I could stretch out 1 week into 2 weeks? Any ideas or othe similar programs?

I think I'm gonna like it here. :)

Replies

• I did C25K without any problems, but I know it can be hard on the joints. One thing you could do is use it to increase your walking pace. Instead of doing jogging intervals, you could do "fitness walking" intervals. Of course pace depends on lots of things, but an average person can still walk (rather than jog/run) up to 4mph, that's a 15 minute mile. Even if you can't get that quick, increasing your walking speed and adding some inclines will help you burn more calories. Plus, many 5Ks welcome walking participants, so you can still use that as a motivator.

If you have access to a gym, machines like the elliptical or arc trainer are great for cardio and limit impact on your knees. I also really like swimming for exercise, if that option is available to you.

Strength training will also help. That doesn't mean you have to get a personal trainer, or even join a gym. With a set of small dumbells and some searching on youtube, you can do a little strength training at home. Building muscle will help raise the number of calories your body burns throughout the day. Plus, it helps strengthen bones and joints, which is always good for general health.

Set small goals, celebrate your victories, expect some setbacks, but just keep going. You can do it!
This discussion has been closed.