Industrial athlete

DonaGail
DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Thats what they tell us we are at work.
Well, I must be in the Sumo division.
I work for a big package delivery company and get a lot of exercise there but I have to wonder how much is REALLY exercise?
How do I tabulate what calories Ive burned off?
I go in early, climb in a truck, get it ready for the road, then do a 4 minute stretch & flex to loosen the muscles (mandatory) I lift a few 30-50lb bags up onto a rib high table and scan/sort documents at an extremely rapid pace. My right hand holds a 3lb scanner and my left arm tosses big envelopes into 7 different tubs. I usually stand there for an hour- I try to do mini half squats as I work. After that, I go to my truck and set up the packages for delivery. They can weigh up to 150lbs.
I have to arrange them on shelves & the floor, lifting and bending quite a lot. Also I am climbing in and out of the truck.
Sometimes I get bulk stops and am pouring sweat by the time Im set up.
I leave the building and drive to my route. I have a rural area and less stops than most of the other drivers because of the distance between them. I also have a lot of very long and hilly driveways. Sometimes I have to walk in knee deep snow while carrying heavy boxes. I try to walk fast. Yesterday I lugged a huge flat screen TV across a shin deep (snow) yard. I get pickups as they are called in and this involves a lot of walking and lifting heavy things too, but not always. When Im done, I return to base and unload my truck, again-climbing & lifting. I sweep it out twice a week really good.
I work four 10 hour days.
Since it changes every day I never know how hard or light I will have to push. Its always short bursts of activity too.

How in the world can I figure this out? I dont have time to write anything down. I know I must be burning quite a bit, but then, why am I the only fat person there? Thats not exactly true, there are several,of us, but Im pretty bad.
Should I just count so much time as walking?
I cant figure out the lifting & bending part..any suggestions at all will be greatly appriciated!
D
This discussion has been closed.