Is overcooked salmon still nutritious?

Options
This probably goes under the Stupid Question Bigtime Category, but - (I hang my head in shame at such a question, but I have to ask) I have a bad habit of overcooking my salmon. Does it still have the desired nutritional value? Or have the omega-3s cooked out?

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    It's still healthy. Not AS nutritious, but it sure beats sausage, bacon, or other over-processed meats.

Salmon is tricky. I usually cut a big piece into sections and grill on med-high heat 5-7minutes per side, spraying with lemon juice every so-often to keep it moist.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Actually, it did make me giggle :laugh: , but a good giggle :happy:
    Not quite sure on that one. I know the skin usually gets crisp during cooking and is very healthy. My GUESS is that even over cooked it still has about as much nutritional value as it does when it's not.
    Salmon jerky??!!! Hey, that sounds good! Wonder why we don't see it in the stores :wink:
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Ha!! Because it's too dang expensive - that's why!! Thanks for your posts!! :happy:
  • deimosphoebos
    deimosphoebos Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you are a sushi eater, try cooking the salmon very lightly and it will come great.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    You are good to go! When salmon is cooked right it is still somewhat firm and not oily. When you overcook it, it is mushy and oily. The Omega 3's are the oil. Unless you wayyy overcook it on very very high heat or open flame you will not burn off the oils.
  • busub
    busub Posts: 58
    Options
    Word of caution, salmon can have parasites. Most sushi places cure their salmon prior to consumption. A good medium to medium well should be all right.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Actually, there is salmon jerky. And "salmon candy" (essentially glazed jerky). They sell it at my farmers market. And it is very expensive. :)
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Actually, there is salmon jerky. And "salmon candy" (essentially glazed jerky). They sell it at my farmers market. And it is very expensive. :)

Yummmmmm, salmon candy! It's gotta be worth the cost! Have you tried it?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want jerky it's a lot easier to make than the prices would lead you to believe. All it takes is an even slicing job of the meat you want to process and an oven or dehydrator and time. Oven can even be a solar-oven if you're so inclined or blessed with the proper light levels to do so.
    "They" don't make jerky in general because there's not enough demand for it (to be made other than just beef), was talking to the jerky guy at work about there not being turkey jerky, he said wait 3 months and sure enough they brought out what they claimed to be turkey jerky but it was more of a stewed meat by the appearance, not of interest to me but I did make some jerk from the turkey. Lasts longer for me storing it that way, goes along with the canned fruits, one power failure costing a freezer full of meat is enough to get you looking for alternatives.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Yummmmmm, salmon candy! It's gotta be worth the cost! Have you tried it?

It is really good . Luckily they have samples. ;) It is like $25/lb.
    Another splurge: hot smoked salmon. So yummy. And since it has a nice firm texture, it is suitable for more preparations. I had some with swiss chard yesterday.