HUH?!

SunLove8
SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Does our muscle break down when we gain weigh or does the fat just cover it? I'm kinda confused here.... :huh: This is in response to a previous question I was pondering due to not lifting weights and just mainly using the treadmill with the exception of speed walking my dog and shoveling snow 5 times in the last 2 months. I have gotten some muscle def (not a whole lot) on my upper arms and I don't know where it came from, lol

Replies

• Tuckersn
    Tuckersn Posts: 149
    The muscle was UNDER the fat. Already there, natural muscle . . . everyone has it, but fat does cover muscle, not vise versa. Of course you can lift to create bigger muscles, but you have some naturally occurring muscles that are more apparent when you lose weight/fat that has been covering them. I thought the train of thought was pretty clear on your last post.
  • SunLove8
    Thanks for posting, for I guess the train of thought on my last post still didn't make it clear for me and I wanted to clarify :ohwell:
    Anyways, it makes sense in a lot of different thoughts about it, yet isn't there a science to this? For example, when we overeat and gain weight it causes fat obviously, but I don't understand how a muscle (if it isn't being exercised while in a period of gaining weight) is still built from the previous (of gaining weight) by running on a treadmill can make an appearance. I thought that the muscle would break down due to not being exercised.
  • SunLove8
    I'm talking about muscle def (like a bump), not just muscle itself. I do know that we have muscle under our fat naturally.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    It's called atrophy...when you don't use your muscles, they will weaken, become less flexible, and lose strength and the ability to create the power than could before.

Building muscle mass is just the opposite...hypertrophy. Muscle fibers are strengthened and multiply, strength is gained and more power can be created due to more mass and more stored energy.

The muscle itself does not go away, it simply weakens and the fibers are in fact broken down from not using them. However, many people who at one time had muscle mass, then lost it, and then exercise again seem to be able to regenerate that mass faster than those who are just starting out exercising. It seems logical that a muscle in a 25 year old person who has never exercised would be more resistant to exercise than a 25 year old who used to exercise a year ago but stopped and then restarted again. Probably also why the new exerciser gets more of the lovely soreness from DOMS than someone who has done it before.
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    When you do everyday movements like brush you hair and other little things you use your muscles in your arms. So even if you are not lifting weights you will keep a certain amount of muscle mass.
    If you have ever looked at a person who is unable to move thier legs, the muscle is mostly gone. I don't know if this helps at all.
  • SunLove8
    Thank you. I don't know if I was wording it right, apparently it sounded like I didn't know that I had muscle:grumble: but, yeah, I do know all people have muscle under fat. However, my answer got answered and it makes sense actually. It's just strange to be getting my arms back that I got when I use to play tennis all the time and do push ups and lift weights. Thanks for all the info!!:smile:
This discussion has been closed.