Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

About bacon

I was at the store the other day and was reading the nutritional guide on bacon. It has facts on raw and cooked. My confusion lies with that. Because when it's cooked it is fairly low in most things but when it is raw it is very high in fat and salt. so my question is when you cook bacon, does that mean the cooked nutrition percentages are just the raw PLUS those?? Or just the cooked nutrition information?

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    my question is, why in the world would anyone care what the nutrional facts are for RAW bacon? gross!! :)

to answer your question, the cooked percentages are what you should count.
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Just the cooked information. Why anyone would want to eat raw bacon is beyond me, but I think they have to list that because it's what is actually in the product when you get it. Fat on a lot of meats cooks off when you cook them, so it makes sense that some the bacon fat will cook off, making it lower calories.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    In theory, "cooked" info applies to any and all cooked bacon. I tend to use bacon fat to cook other components of the dish (ie. I brown the bacon then saute onions in the fat that's rendered out), so I always use the raw nutrition info when I use bacon... essentially, it depends on if you use the fat or drain it off and don't eat it.
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    I am not sure man. But have you tried Turkey bacon? IMO is just as good as reg bacon.
  • agreed, spitfire! and better for you!
  • NightOwl1
    agreed, spitfire! and better for you!

This actually isn't true. Turkey Bacon and Regular Bacon have the same amount of calories, and Turkey Bacon has twice the sodium. This is considered one of the biggest food myths, right up there with Reduced Fat Peanut Butter.
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member

This actually isn't true. Turkey Bacon and Regular Bacon have the same amount of calories, and Turkey Bacon has twice the sodium. This is considered one of the biggest food myths, right up there with Reduced Fat Peanut Butter.

I completely agree because with bacon it has way less preservatives then turkey bacon does.
  • aeevr
    aeevr Posts: 34

Yes! And it tastes like crap. Just as good? How could someone with taste buds say that?
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member

You are correct. However turkey bacon doesn't shrink and shrivel up. At least not like a regular piece of a bacon. So I can eat less and feel more full.
  • Haha, I believe the turkey bacon myth for about a year until I took the time to actually compare. FREAKED ME OUT. I was like wtf it's WORSE?!? My whole world stood still for a minute. Then I decided...I was going to eat freakin' pig bacon.
  • NightOwl1
    Haha, I believe the turkey bacon myth for about a year until I took the time to actually compare. FREAKED ME OUT. I was like wtf it's WORSE?!? My whole world stood still for a minute. Then I decided...I was going to eat freakin' pig bacon.

I used to believe the Reduced Fat Peanut Butter Myth for a long time. I would always buy it because it was "healthier" than Regular Peanut Butter. And then one I day I compared them, and was like "holy crap, they have the same amount of calories, and the reduced fat peanut butter took out healthy fats and replaced it with crappy carb filler!". Made me question a lot of supposedly diet conscious products.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    hmmm... intersting tid bits about the turkey bacon and RF peanut butter
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    On Reduced Fat Peanut Butter - I switched to a natural, no stir peanut butter instead of regular JIF or Skippy or the reduced-fat kind. I don't like most natural peanut butters, but the no stir kind is pretty good.

I tend to eat Morningstar Farms bacon strips, but I don't really like bacon that much in the first place...

Also, did you know that the real bacon salad toppings are better for you then Bac O's? I was surprised to learn that!